NOT HAPPY with map change since update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

NOT HAPPY with map change since update

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
3 People complained about the map wind indicator , being confuseing YET IT INDICATED CORRECTLY before the update indicating where the wind was comming from THIS IS AVIATION standard format , now since update it indicates INCORRECTLY TO INDUSTRY STANDARDS and shows where the wind is going too , this might as well be deleted , as its now confusing me and real pilots , either put it as was or get rid altogether , and just have the writen wind direction.
regards alan. :? :? :?:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: NOT HAPPY with map change since update

Post by Jacques »

I would strongly agree with Alan, if this is the case. No sense in "dumbing down" a feature in a product line that is supposed to amp up realism beyond the others.

Seems like a few lines of text in the accompanying manual, supported by a dedicated thread in the forum on "how to read the wind" would have been a lot easier than re-doing the entire concept! And, incorrectly, as well.

That isn't a good trend, in my opinion.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Alan/Jacques,

Actually, I'd argue that synoptic charts and similar graphics commonly show arrows pointing in the direction the wind is blowing. For instance, here's an example I just took from the Met Office's website...

Of course, this doesn't alter the fact the winds in this case are prevailing south-westerlies. (Because we always describe the direction in which the winds are coming from, regardless of the graphics used.) However, it's really only proper wind barbs which by convention must be drawn facing in the direction the wind is coming from.

Thanks,
Nick

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Nick.
When i said industry standard , about the wind shown as coming from , i ment aviation standards , look at your modern b777/airbus as examples the wind indicator in the monitors always points to the direction the wind is comming from , not going to .
regards alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Alan,
alan CXA651 wrote:[...] look at your modern b777/airbus as examples the wind indicator in the monitors always points to the direction the wind is comming from , not going to .
Not so sure about that. Take a look at this image for instance...
Wind at 285°, but the arrow shows the direction the wind is blowing to, not the direction it's coming from. In other words, whenever an arrow rather than a barb is used to depict the wind, it shows the direction it's blowing to.

I reckon it would be quite a bit of work to depict a proper wind barb on the A2A maps screen, so an arrow pointing in the wind direction seems like a good compromise.

Cheers,
Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, that's the common wind vector indication, it is the given numerical wind direction that always indicates where the wind is coming from. (As a sidenote, the numerical display is, in some instances actually in true direction, due to conventional way of indicating cruise winds in true directions, but the vector should be tied to ND north reference.) In this instance, there however is no chance of ambiguity in the wind direction.

IMO, the clearest on-arc presentation is a weather vane style (tail in, arrow out). A wind vector display agrees with this convention. This is how it is on all the NDs I know, wind riding with the arrow.

-Esa

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Indeed.

Alan you went a bit far with the industry standarts. No ICAO annex says ''Point any wind-related arrows to the direction the wind is blowing backwards". Because it makes no logical sense. It also makes no sense physically because of how vectors works.

HOWEVER and this is I think where you are coming from, ICAO DOES require that standardized written and oral reports (metars, ATIS and whatnot) tell the direction the wind is blowing FROM, because when you hear "298" you instantly know that between runway 05,23,11,29, the 29 is the one to go. If the tower told "the wind is blowing TO 298" you'll pointlessly lose some precious time to calculate that rwy 11 is the one to go.

But radio coms and physical vector are in no way related to each other. A2A did not violate any aviation rule.

No need to use condescending terms like "dumbing down" because this is not true. Losing time with useless modulo calculations for the sake of it won't ever make you smarter. Aviation is all about focusing on the things that needs attention and delivering the information in the simplest and least confusive way possible. Nick is right. Airbus shows the wind vector. Arrow to the left, plane deviates to the left. That's the information the pilot wants.
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
3 People complained about the map wind indicator , being confuseing YET IT INDICATED CORRECTLY before the update indicating where the wind was comming from THIS IS AVIATION standard format , now since update it indicates INCORRECTLY TO INDUSTRY STANDARDS and shows where the wind is going too , this might as well be deleted , as its now confusing me and real pilots , either put it as was or get rid altogether , and just have the writen wind direction.
regards alan. :? :? :?:
The depiction on the map was changed to be consistent with the B377. Had nothing to do with "industry standard", and as has been pointed out above, isn't techically wrong as the arrow still points outward toward where it's blowing.

Finally, it wasn't just 3 people who complained. It was an item that at least 1/2 of the BETA test team brought up as an issue. I didn't agree either and felt it was the B377 that needed to be updated, but I was overruled.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Not sure if this correct as I am away from my sim PC right now and not sure of the issue. I believe if you have access to the original install you can just use the map gauge from the original install it should work fine. If I had access to my PC I could give a better explanation.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

To me it would be more confusing to point the arrow at where the wind is coming from, that wouldn't make sense at all. We already know that the wind degree number is the From direction and adding the arrow should be a visual help of it's direction.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

LostSoul
Airman

Post by LostSoul »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi Nick.
When i said industry standard , about the wind shown as coming from , i ment aviation standards , look at your modern b777/airbus as examples the wind indicator in the monitors always points to the direction the wind is comming from , not going to .
regards alan. 8)
WRONG!! I have no clue what this fuss is about. If you have the wind on your nose, the arrow (or wind indicator in the Connie's map) is poinitng towards your nose! Nothing wrong with that and absolutely common standard. Just make a short example: flying HDG 360, wind 360 with 20 KTS. Would you like to see the wind indicator in front of you pointing against you, or behind you???

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”