Carb Air Filters & MP

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: Carb Air Filters & MP

Post by WB_FlashOver »

According to the manual on page 114 under Carburetor Heaters and Air Filters it reads;

"Carburetor heaters and air filters are operated by one set of levers located on flight engineer’s control stand. The controls are set to HOT when pulled towards the flight engineer. They are set to COLD when pushed away from the flight engineer. When pushed approximately 10° beyond the COLD position, the levers close a switch which brings the air filters into operation."

And yes, you cannot push them beyond 0% with your mouse (possible bug). It requires the use of controls via A2A Input Configurator, FSUIPC or LINDA. I use LINDA.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I'll let Scott make the final decision on this, but the final released aircraft and the reference aircraft apparently didn't have this feature installed, so the bug is that you're able to override the travel limits on the axis with hardware. Unless he and Rob decide to re-rig the VC levers, re-mark them, and make it where that functions, the issues you're having are because you're operating the axis in a zone that wasn't programmed (i.e. it was programmed to work between 0 and 100, not -30 to 100).

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I see this feature is mentioned in the C-69 manual but it's not in our L-049 manual under the systems section, and not anywhere in the engineer's checklist. We will make a point to look into this the next time we're with the aircraft.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Scott - A2A wrote:I see this feature is mentioned in the C-69 manual but it's not in our L-049 manual under the systems section, and not anywhere in the engineer's checklist. We will make a point to look into this the next time we're with the aircraft.

Scott.
Hello Scott,
I did a quick search in the manual I have (< COTS_L049_Pilot's_Manual_FSX.pdf > created 12-26-16) and on pages 123 and 126 under the Engineers duties it says to set filters to ON if in dusty conditions. I may need to re-download the manual if there is a new one. This manual mentions filters 5 times, just an fyi.

Thanks for looking into this Sir.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

He was talking the actual manuals. It may have been a section that got accidentally copied into the A2A manual and we didn't catch during BETA and reviews of the Manual.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Of interest, was it common by that time to have an airplane engine without an induction air filter option?

-Esa

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

AFAIK, dust filters/screens were almost universally a military thing. Only a few civilian aircraft ever came equipped with them and most military aircraft had them removed as part of their conversion for civil use (including the C-69s). The airlines especially saw these systems as "unneeded, complex, and expensive" both in price and manpower. In addition, operators who did keep them found them to be only useful in the most extreme desert environments. At most other times, the dust/dirt/sand wasn't sufficient to really cause any additional wear or loss of power. It was only when you were doing something like flying in a haboob that they really showed any benefit. Otherwise, they were just another potential source of failure and at worst, a clogged inlet if they weren't properly maintained.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Those were the times! :)
CAPFlyer wrote:Otherwise, they were just another potential source of failure and at worst, a clogged inlet if they weren't properly maintained.
If a clogged filter was a potential problem but additional issues from ingested small particles, dirt, sand and crap and whatnot was not considered to be one, they surely were working with tolerances and metallurgy where if anything, an added throw of fine sand served as lubricate if anything! :mrgreen: Indeed, the manuals of the time seem to contain quotes such as "use filters only when dust is thick or sand is blowing". Nowadays we chicken the use of carburetor heat on ground for this reason.

Interesting aspect really, I need to find out how some local Dakota business considers the air filter aspect of engine care, for sake of interest.

-Esa

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

When I say clogged inlet, I mean exactly that. A failed filter door or filter frame that causes the filter or door to block the inlet (depending on the aircraft). Some aircraft, the filter itself was swung into the inlet air path. Others, it was a door that diverted the air from the normal inlet path into a diversion duct where the filter sat. Either way, because airlines didn't want to maintain them, if they failed, they'd create a bigger hazard than completely removing the system and permanently plugging any openings that were only for the air filter system. Certainly an old, fully obstructed filter would cause as much of a problem, but the reality was, if it was never used, the bigger issue was the control system breaking and causing the problem and not the filter itself being clogged.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Okay, I see. Makes these filter things rather incredibly stupid design then, it wouldn't be difficult at all to make such system effectively fail-safe. No wonder if they weren't liked.

-Esa

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

As with many things in early aviation, there were many "systems" which weren't really needed but were designed and installed because they simply didn't know yet they weren't needed. It was only after many failures and real world operation that these things worked themselves out and disappeared. The filters are great when maintained, but when you don't use them, they get "forgotten" and then you end up having the break.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”