Sensitivity settings recommended?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Sensitivity settings recommended?

Post by ryanbatc »

I'm having a heck of a time trimming the connie. I had the same issue with the PA24. I vaguely recall a thread about sensitivity settings and how we should have them a little different than other addons. I can't find it though.

Also once I am in level flight, the elevator is super sensitive. I don't have a centering joystick, it's the ms ffb2 sidewinder (with ffb disabled)... so finding the center is not always possible. So Once cruise power is set I get it about where center is, and trim for that. But then any slight touch of the elevator and the plane is dropping or climbing. Trim on my buttons makes the nose pitch up and down fairly quickly too. The only way I have found to get a good trim is use the mouse wheel on the actual VC trim wheel.

It's making online flights difficult, especially to trim it out for straight and level. Any tips?

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Sensitivity settings recommended?

Post by CAPFlyer »

You're going to have to find what's best for you. We did pretty extensive testing on the control "feel". I personally run all my stuff without modified sensitivities (only a modified null zone) or slopes, and found the controls to be as expected, sensitive in pitch and a little sluggish in roll. The real airplane was known for being sensitive in pitch and was part of why it wasn't the greatest in turbulence. With its light wing loading and short arm, the plane bounced really easily.

I would suggest if you use FSX to assign your elevator trim buttons/switches, that you set the repeat to 50%. I've found in the past this fixes many of the issues with over-sensitive trim because the default FSX 100% repeat causes the elevator trim to often move way too far per tap. In the real world, you're moving the trim wheel maybe 1/4 degree at a time and most of the electric trims are just as slow or slower than what you do by hand, so its hard in the sim to "feel" the adjustments like you can in the real plane and that leads to over-trimming because you don't see how much its moving versus what you're expecting.

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Thank you for that technical info, I wasn't sure what the real thing is like. I'll try 50% on the trim buttons... right now it was at 100%.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

ryanbatc wrote:I vaguely recall a thread about sensitivity settings and how we should have them a little different than other addons. I can't find it though.
Here you go: IMPORTANT: FSX Users - Check your controller sensitivities. It's still pinned as a global announcement.

Cheers,
Nick

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Post by trindade »

CAPFlyer wrote: The real airplane was known for being sensitive in pitch and was part of why it wasn't the greatest in turbulence. With its light wing loading and short arm, the plane bounced really easily.

I would suggest if you use FSX to assign your elevator trim buttons/switches, that you set the repeat to 50%. I've found in the past this fixes many of the issues with over-sensitive trim because the default FSX 100% repeat causes the elevator trim to often move way too far per tap. In the real world, you're moving the trim wheel maybe 1/4 degree at a time and most of the electric trims are just as slow or slower than what you do by hand, so its hard in the sim to "feel" the adjustments like you can in the real plane and that leads to over-trimming because you don't see how much its moving versus what you're expecting.
I'll try this tip as well. I've been flying short flights to learn and while hand flying her she bounces a lot, up, down, up, down, trying small pitch trim corrections doesn't help much, I always end fighting the controls and i'm feeling a bit frustrated. Overall i'm in love with the connie but it's a nightmare to manually fly her...

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Post by trindade »

A quick update: I changed my trim setting to 50% instead of 100% and ASN turbulence from the default 70% to 40% and... what a difference, it's much much better now.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Trindade.
I have ASN turbulance at 30 , i agree its default setting of 70 is way to stronge , even at a setting of 30 the connie can be a handfull in heavy turbulance.
regards alan. 8)

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Post by trindade »

Indeed Alan, a lower setting in ASN does a big difference. It feels much more realistic and turbulence is still there as it should. :wink:

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”