Total Control & Throttle Failure

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
StormILM
Airman

Total Control & Throttle Failure

Post by StormILM »

I had a very odd anomaly mid way on a flight between Washington DC and Miami. I was set in cruise at FL180, all engine settings were in the green and then all of the sudden I hear a loud bang! I noticed I was losing airspeed rapidly, all 4 engine manifold pressure needles were stuck at around 1300 to 1500 RPM, the Throttles were unresponsive, and the control yokes were dead (frozen). The elevator and aileron trim still worked and I aimed at getting into a small airport just below me using trim only. I was able to get the gear down by normal actuation as well as flaps. I ended up making a forced & hard landing on trim only (which was a real bear). I searched the database to see if I could find anything but could not. I did make sure all items were serviced prior to departure and in the aftermath, nothing showed up on the discrepancies list. Has anyone else observed this behavior before, any ideas? I have flown the Connie on a number of long flights but this was the first time this ever happened.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Total Control & Throttle Failure

Post by FAC257 »

I can't place exactly why it happened, but if you lose complete hydraulics for any reason, move all of the control surface Boost controls to the OFF position.
The Aileron and Rudder Boost Levers are on the center console, just to the right of the Pilot's Yoke & Trim Wheel. The Elevator Boost Lever is on the floor by your right foot.

Moving all of these to the OFF position will switch the control surface movement over to a simple mechanical linkage system. You will have full control over all three, but at reduced maximum throw.
The aircraft is quite controllable, but sluggish in response.
FAC257

StormILM
Airman

Post by StormILM »

Thanks for the reply. I will try to run the flight again and see if the issue pops up again and then use this method.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have had this happen to me on a couple of occasions , but not all my engines at once , a quick glance around showed the engineer had for some inexplicable reason , had TURNED MIX TO OFF on eng 1 , i moved mix to auto rich , then back to auto lean as i was in cruise , this got the eng fired up , all inst showed good , and continued my flight with no further problems , aircraft landed in a fully serviceable condition , so a mystery as to why he shut eng1 down.
regards alan. 8)

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Hopefully the patch will land soon :D
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”