Carburetor anti-icer switches

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Carburetor anti-icer switches

Post by Paughco »

Glad this topic came up. I spend a lot of time on flights checking Shift+2 to see crew messages about overall status of the aircraft, then switching to Shift+5 to see about wind, turbulence intensity, etc. Every so often, when flying through clouds, I get the red "possible carburetor ice" in the Shift+2 window. I've pressed the [H] key, which applies carb heat in all other aircraft, and that doesn't do anything. Then I go back to the FE's station and try moving the levers. They don't move. Seems like only Larry can move them when the FE is activated and we're in flight. I've switched on the carb deicers, thinking maybe the power setting was high enough that I had to worry about that detonation problem mentioned earlier.

Sometimes Larry the FE does mention that he's applied "sheltered air" (a quaint sounding term) and I actually notice a drop on manifold pressure, which I compensate for with the throttles. Same thing happens in reverse when he goes back to cold air.

So here's my question: When Larry the FE is in charge of the engines, can I just ignore that red carb ice warning and figure that he'll take care of it, or should I do something?

Thank you
ATB

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The FE should automatically address icing issues, but will only do so if icing is actually present. The warning on the Shift-2 tends to be somewhat conservative only stating that the conditions are right, not that they're necessarily causing accumulation. There is a chance it's not 100% working and that will be looked at in the update, but if the FE is applying sheltered air for you during Icing Conditions, then it's working correctly.

blillpers
Senior Airman

Post by blillpers »

I hade the same issue, my FE didn't take any action. As far as I know he has never even touched the carb air switches.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi guys,

I hate to bring this issue back up but today the following happened. I'm currently enroute from Frankfurt to Shannon. And I'm flying at only 10.000ft due to heavy cross headwinds. I'm flying through the occasional cloud. So I get the "Caution: Carb Ice" warning in the shift+2 menu. And the manifold pressure starts dropping from about 29" to 25".

The virtual FE is in charge of his station. He keeps saying "sheltered air" and "sheltered air set" accompanied by a clicking noise but nothing is happening. He isn't moving the carb heat levers nor am I seeing any other switches moved (despite the clicking). I was watching this for a bit now and it looks like every time he comments about the sheltered air the levers jiggle but the don't move. If I take over the FE station and move the carb air heat levers to about 50% the manifold pressure increases almost immediatly back to 29".

If I leave the carb heat on hot and hand the FE station back to him he moves the carb heat back to cold and the cycle starts over again. I'm afraid there's a bug in the simulation somewhere.

Does anyone else see this happening?

Thanks
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”