P3D and FSX poor frame rate

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

P3D and FSX poor frame rate

Post by Marvin-E34 »

Hello,

I have both versions of the L049 (FSX and P3Dv4) and i would like to troubleshoot an issue regarding poor frame rate.
I've seen other topics talking about stutters and i've tried some of the fixes with the same results (moving the folders, getting a huge improvement in frame rate but missing some sounds; engineer, stewardess).
I'm happy to troubleshoot with you guys in details.

My computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
MB: P8Z77-V LE
RAM: 16 Gb DDR3
GC: GTX 1060 6 Gb
Sound (on the motherboard): Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Sim: P3D v4.5.12.30293 Academic
SimConnect Version 4.5.0.0
Plane: latest version of the L049 for P3Dv4 Academic (bought yesterday)
Addon: Active Sky for P3Dv4, Chaseplane, UTLive, Orbx range of products

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: P3D and FSX poor frame rate

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello

are you running the sim as admin via right click and selecting run as admin?

Also what anti-malware are you running, have you tried with it turned off or excepted the P3D + the area your Connie is installed too + all sub folders within.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Seen posts like this before and they say it was the Realtek sound driver dragging the frames down, bad crackly sound, but that was a problem across the whole system (YouTube , music ect) not just 1 plane in a sim.
Still, might be something in it for you.

Google is littered with these complaints.

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 05:18 Hello

are you running the sim as admin via right click and selecting run as admin?
Also what anti-malware are you running, have you tried with it turned off or excepted the P3D + the area your Connie is installed too + all sub folders within.

thanks,
Lewis
- For this test, i've reinstalled the Connie following the default procedure when it comes to folder location, so every sound and feature is working -

the area your Connie is installed too + all sub folders within
* I've got 3 hard drive, 1 SSD
* Hard drive n°1 with 935 Gb (C:\ Windows - 195 Gb and D:\ 735 Gb)
* P3Dv4.5 is installed on Hard Drive n°3, one partition Z of 2794 Gb

* Z:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
* the Connie is installed Z:\Documents_C\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A
* i've made a symlink to avoid putting large addons on my C:\ partition

Are you running the sim as admin
* Yes

via right click and selecting run as admin?
* It is running as admin by default, i don't have to right click on the P3D shortcut. But everytime i launch the sim the windows 10 UAC prompt appears so i have to click yes.

Also what anti-malware are you running
* Malwarebytes Premium 3.7.1

have you tried with it turned off ?
* with anti-malware ON
* cold and dark at DAAQ with no passengers (Ain Oussera Airport, in the middle of nowhere for max FPS)
When in the cockpit, captain seat, my frame rate is at 59 FPS with a drop every one or two seconds to 35-45 FPS. Not a problem, but already a sign of things to come.
* I let the F.E. prepare the plane
Same amount of FPS drops, with deeper drops to 20-30 FPS when he is speaking or playing with the switches. Again, at this stage it's not noticable, but obviously i'm using the shift+z command to monitor the frame rate.
* I move to the F.E. seat and start the engines
With one engine started i'm already dancing between 50, 20 and 10 FPS, it's still somewhat smooth overall but the numbers are there.
All engines started, on the F.E. seat, it goes back to 59-40, all seems OK.
Back to captain seat, same frame rate.
* Take off flaps, handbrake up, 35 manifold pressure and 2400 rpm: same frame rate, 59 to 40 FPS, smooth.
* The plane starts to roll down the runway
And this is where the problem appears. By the time i've reached 40 knots indicated, i'm already jumping between 50, 20 with serious and frequent drops to 15, 10 FPS and it's not smooth at all.
* 100 knots, rotate
For some reasons, the moment when you ratote is the worst. I can see single digit frame rate and i average around 15 FPS with a serious feeling of stutters / FPS jumping from 8 to 18.
* 110 knots, 2252 feet MSL, the F.E. is flicking switchies
As i climb a fly away above the runway, i'm having completely inconsistent frame rate, one second it's between 50 and 45, the next it's back to 10 and 20, then 30, then back to 15.
* 189 knots, flying above the desert, 1 minutes after take off, smoothly climbing at 500 FPM
I go back to a rather smooth frame rate between 59 and 45, i can still hear the F.E. play with the switches, but everything is smooth and OK.

Now this is in the middle of nowhere, with next to nothing as far as autogen goes, with a clear sky, no rain etc
I've had long flights with the Connie with the FSX version, and while the cruise is moslty OK, going through turbulences, flying over cities or just departing / making an approach, you can divide those numbers by 50%.

have you tried with it turned off ?
* with anti-malware OFF (right click on Malwarebytes, close, UAC prompt, yes - i check the task manager for anything called Malwarebytes still running, righ click, ending the process)

* same location, same situation, starting from cold and dark
same results, some drops to 30, but overall smooth and playable
* plane rolling down the runway
same results
* rotation and initial climb
It's a lot better, i'm still getting some drops, but it's closer to the 20-30s than the 10-20s FPS and after rotation, it's goes right back to a rather smooth 45-55.

I changed the location to something a bit more realistic (LFST, Strasbourg - i only have orbx Europe LC, no special airport), and i'm already back at 40-30 FPS rolling down the runway with huge stutters / drops to 15-20 FPS
Rotation is similar to what i had when Malwarebytes was ON.

All of this only happens when i'm inside the place, when i use an outside view (F11), it's back to max FPS and 0 drop
Before buying the P3Dv4 Connie i also tried the B377 for FSX and it's got none of the issues (as it's the case with every other A2A plane i've had)
Last edited by Marvin-E34 on 28 Jun 2019, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

If you’re confident enough, try turning off Hyperthreading in your BIOS
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

TBryson2 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 10:11 If you’re confident enough, try turning off Hyperthreading in your BIOS
I'm testing this right now, so far not much improvement.
Years ago when i built my computer, i had an i7 2600K (unlocked, open to overclocking), but i managed to fried the chip (using a bottle of dust cleaner upside down - it creates ice :D ... yeah yeah i was young :p), then i went out and bought an i7 2600 forgetting the fact that the 2600 is limited, not the K. something tells me that a 5 Ghz overclock would solve any performance issue for FSX or P3D :mrgreen:

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

It was worth a shot and did improve mine.

Good hunting!
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”