Realism setting/crash avoidance

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Realism setting/crash avoidance

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey guys,

Just had a quick question: the usual advice is to turn off object collision so you don't run into invisible objects on the ground, causing a crash and killing you(r) pilot career. While I understand the point of doing this, my question is this; if I flip the Connie on her back and nose dive into the ground the plane will 'bounce' off the ground, essentially ignoring the crash (as was established in the settings).

My example is extreme but my point is, is there a middle ground? Is there a way to turn off collisions with objects yet keep crashes active? It almost feels like cheating knowing I cause a catastrophic error and the Connie will just bounce off the ground and continue on her way, however I don't want my career to end due to a misplaced invisible pine tree.

Anyone know if there is a middle ground?

-Scott
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: Realism setting/crash avoidance

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I have not found that setting yet. I too choose not to turn off collision detection. I feel I should have to pay the price if I mess up. However, I do turn off collision with vehicles. The best option I have found is to back up my plane data files on each sim start and as soon as I touch down after the flight. There is no fun thing like ending a 5 hour flight and then crash into that invisible object as you taxi to the gates.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Enable crashes, but disable "detect crashes with other aircraft."
This lets airport vehicles drive through you to their heart's content, but you will still bend metal if you strike the ground (or clip the invisible wall of a hangar... be careful with custom scenery!!!)
:mrgreen:

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

I suppose if you're worried about "cheating" then leave crashes turned off, but if you do end up making a catastrophic error, keep yourself honest and reset your career and aircraft. That seems like the best solution to me.

Backing up the aircraft file after each flight is an option, but it still means you will essentially lose an entire flight worth of progress if the collision boxes decide to be unkind to you as you're taxiing to the gate - which can be a considerable time investment lost, since the Connie is built for long hauls.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

EnDSchultz wrote: Backing up the aircraft file after each flight is an option, but it still means you will essentially lose an entire flight worth of progress if the collision boxes decide to be unkind to you as you're taxiing to the gate - which can be a considerable time investment lost, since the Connie is built for long hauls.
I have found that Accusim writes to the data file at touchdown. So as soon as I have her reigned in to a taxi speed I hit my shortcut key and viola, my data files are backed up. So far P3Dv4.x has not crashed me in mid air like FSX has so fingers crossed. P3D does still have taxi crashes though. I could not get near the Baltimore terminal one day no matter what I tried. I could not even spawn there.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

All good ideas. I suppose I can try to fly with vehicle collisions turned off and crash detection on and see what happens, I’ll just be sure to back up my flights.

-Scott
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”