Oil quantity

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
ionasm
Airman Basic

Oil quantity

Post by ionasm »

What is the minimum oil quantity before you need to replenish your tanks?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Oil quantity

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have never gone to that low level , because if it gets to low , the pressure will drop , i always make sure all fluids are topped up before a flight.
regards alan. 8)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

ionasm wrote:What is the minimum oil quantity before you need to replenish your tanks?
that is depending on how long flight you are planning.
I always refill the oil tanks before each flight, as I think this is the way it was done back in the days
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

ionasm
Airman Basic

Post by ionasm »

Obviously it depends on the length of the next leg, but is there an absolute minimum plus the anticipated oil consumption for the next flight that one should have in mind before each leg?

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

My guess would be that the level was checked before each flight, this is coming from the Constellations flight engineer handbook. During the preflight check, oil quantity is checked. Now, if it was a multiple leg flight, my assumption would be that the oil consumption would be calculated for the total distance for the beginning and ending legs of the flight.

As in: If you fly from New York to Miami with a stop over in Myrtle Beach, you would look at the distance from NY-FL and say "Yes, I have enough oil and fuel to make that flight." If you're flying from New York to Los Angeles with a stop over in Kansas City, you would do the same thing. "No, I do not have enough fuel/oil to make the flight from NY to LA, therefore I'll refuel/top off oil in Kansas City".
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”