How to cool on the ground when hot weather?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

How to cool on the ground when hot weather?

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Hello, guys.
Tell me, please, how to cool Connie on the ground when hot weather? I start ground blower and cabin master with cooler but temperature in cabin not down. At load passengers Baddy speaks what hot. After start 3 and 4 engines — temperature down. Do I could cool cabin without start engines?

At cold weather (blower and cabin master with heater) heat in cabin — ok, without start engines.

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Re: How to cool on the ground when hot weather?

Post by FireRescue85 »

I know before the update you could cool the cabin with Ground Blowers on, Master switch on, and Cabin Cooling on. After the update, I believe you need an engine running to cool the cabin down. My advice, if you need to have an engine running in order for the AC to work, run engines 3 & 4, cool the cabin, and then shutdown to load. Once loaded, start them back up and you should be good to go.
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

FireRescue85 wrote:I know before the update you could cool the cabin with Ground Blowers on, Master switch on, and Cabin Cooling on. After the update, I believe you need an engine running to cool the cabin down. My advice, if you need to have an engine running in order for the AC to work, run engines 3 & 4, cool the cabin, and then shutdown to load. Once loaded, start them back up and you should be good to go.
Thanks, FireRescue85.
Ok, but why then in cold weather work heater without starting engines? Where CAPFlyer? :D

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

You can load passengers with 3 & 4 running since they board on the port side.

Paul

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

If I’m not mistaken the AC compressors on the L049 are in the no.1 & 4 engine. So you’ll have to run 1 & 4 to get max AC. On a not so hot day running only one of those engines might do the trick. No 3 will not do anything towards cooking the cabin.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

This is where your maintenance crews are so helpful in real life. They come out and do all the stupid things like warming or cooling the plane before you (or the passengers) arrive so you won't have to do silly things like run the #1 engine while people are boarding. :)

In all seriousness, because we don't have the joy of a mechanical crew to come in and do the morning warmup (and run-up) and then warm/cool the airplane for us, I suggest any flight with an A2A airliner to have an extra 30+ minutes planned to the start so you can do these items (run-up and warm/cool the cabin). Then, if its really hot you can just run the #4 engine and keep the cabin bearable enough while the passengers board since the cabin is being kept cool instead of having to cool it down from ambient or needing to run both Air Cycle Machines.

Or, you can just let the passengers be hot for a few minutes while they board and then start the engines as normal. :twisted:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

CAPFlyer wrote: Or, you can just let the passengers be hot for a few minutes while they board and then start the engines as normal. :twisted:
Oh that’s not gonna go well with Betty :mrgreen: :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Many thanks, guys!
Yeah, Betty is unhappy and indignant. :twisted:
CAPFlyer, why then in cold weather work heater without starting engines?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Eugene Kremlev wrote: CAPFlyer, why then in cold weather work heater without starting engines?
Well I’d guess the heater is electric and the AC needs the compressor driven by the engine.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

It should be a combustion heater.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The heater doesn't require the engine to be running as long as you have the GPU connected. Otherwise, I would run an engine so you don't have a problem with killing your battery. :)

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Many thanks, guys!

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”