Proportional Bank Adapter

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
CajunRon
Airman

Proportional Bank Adapter

Post by CajunRon »

Here is a quote from the manual..." The Sperry A-3 autopilot is equipped with a proportional bank adapter....In addition to automatically banking the airplane for any turn, this device also automatically provides “up elevator” during the turn so as to compensate for loss of altitude which would otherwise occur."

It would seem that the objective of this feature is to try to maintain constant altitude during a turn. Well if anything it seems to be making the maintaining of altitude worse. It over compensates and puts the airplane into a significant climb at sometimes up to 1000 ft/min or more. Personally I don't think this is being correctly modeled (from a logic and common sense view point). Is there any way to adjust or turn this feature off.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Proportional Bank Adapter

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The manual does not fully reflect the equipment fitted on the L049 which was the first connie , and on the first connie if you wish to use the sperry correctly , DISCONNECT the sperry , do your turn manually then reconnect the sperry , or do your turns in small ammounts and correct for pitch with elevator trim.
regards alan. 8)

CajunRon
Airman

Post by CajunRon »

I'm a little confused by your reply. It is my understanding from the promo video produced by A2A that they had access to a real Constellation and this was the basis for the model that was simulated (don't know if this was the "first connie" or not). But based on this real life Constellation that they claimed they used, a Sperry unit was modeled that included the Proportional Bank Adapter and it's stated features. Are you saying that A2A was incorrect in including this specific Sperry Unit in their model or that the model of the Sperry Unit that they programmed into their sim is not working correctly and therefore as simers we should use the work around that the Sperry should only be used for level flight which, as was discussed in another post of mine, doesn't do a good job of holding attitude and thus altitude and where it was recommended by others there that we use the FSX autopilot option build into the simulation to hold altitude.

All of these discussions seem to be skirting the real question....Is the Sperry Unit modeled in the A2A Constellation model that I paid $59.00 for, working correctly or not. My conclusion is that it is not and so the next question is will A2A correct this problem with their model?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
If you look at the promo vid it was of a real L049 , but a NON flyable musium version , and the docs are not fully representable of the early L049 but of later connies , so some equipment in the docs DO NOT relate to the L049 that A2A made , and to clarify , todate there is NO L049 flying or in a flyable state .
Regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”