Connie questions

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Connie questions

Post by ilya1502 »

Hello, fellow accu-simmers!

Maybe, some of you who is better informed than I, wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions?

Is it normal that...

1. The oil shutter flaps movement is not heard when their control is set to auto? If I open/close them manually, I can clearly hear the drive buzzing. If I set them to auto, I can see the needles on the indicators move, but no buzzing.
2. The artificial flight engineer uses x-feed to transfer fuel between the tanks while it's clearly stated on his panel that it shouldn't be done?
3. The oil in temps are hotter, than oil out? Normally, oil out is out of the engine to the oil cooler, so I expected them to be hotter... But since it is vice versa here, then it is in/out of what?
4. That captain who is my virtual avatar is so obsessed about landings? :lol:

And a couple of others:
5. Occasionally in the Shift+2 panel I see a red "Caution: carb ice". Does it imply that carb icing is possible or already happening? The point is that the FE does nothing about it and keeps resetting carb heat to cold, if I try to take over.
6. Cabin temp is going down so damn quickly when the heat is off. It is strange. It's a huge cabin and only a small door and +7C outside. But it takes just several minutes for it to cool down from +21 down to +10. Is it as per the real thing? :? I cannot believe that heat insulation can be so poor.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Connie questions

Post by CAPFlyer »

ilya1502 wrote:Is it normal that...
1. Are you hearing the oil shutter "buzzing" when moving the oil shutters in manual with the engines running? The drives are fairly quiet and shouldn't be easy to hear once the engine is started.

2. Are you sure you're seeing fuel be transferred? He should be moving the crossfeeds and fuel shutoff levers to try and keep the fuel levels relatively even, but it should be only doing it by cutting off a "low" tank to allow the other tank(s) to catch up.

3. Why would the oil coming OUT of the oil COOLER be hotter than the oil going IN? I'm not sure I follow that logic. You are correct that the IN is the temp of the OIL going into the cooler and the OUT is the temp of the oil going out of the cooler. Having the in and out lets you diagnose if an oil cooler isn't working (and cooling the oil properly) among other things.

4. Yep. And you should be obsessed about them too. :)

5. If he's doing nothing then there's no carb icing happening, only that the conditions are right for it to occur.

6. First, the cabin isn't as large as you think. ;). Second, yes, the thermal insulation is that bad. It is amazing how quickly an airplane's cabin gets cold. I've seen an ERJ's cabin go from 70*F to freezing in under 15 minutes with only the baggage door and the main cabin door open.

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

CAPFlyer wrote: 1. Are you hearing the oil shutter "buzzing" when moving the oil shutters in manual with the engines running?
I mean with the engines stopped.

Thanks for the answers.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I don't know the inner workings of the drive, but it's possible that in "auto" mode, the drive runs slower so there isn't noticeable sound from it. My only real-world experiences are with the B-29 and the Convair 240 and in both of them when you set things in the manual mode, the motors operate at 100%, but when in "auto" they move slower and are much quieter. In the Convair this is especially evident because the cowl flap motors are quite loud at full power (manual adjustment) and you could hear them over the idling engine. In auto, you never heard them move, but could see them modulate on the cowl flap position indicator.

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Evaluated by the needle movement, the move at the same rate.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”