Copilot and the Landing Gear

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Copilot and the Landing Gear

Post by tbaac »

Hi
I bought the Connie last year and have now gone back and am trying to learn it.
I've had fun starting her up and working through the warm up and run-up checks.
However, I have a couple of silly questions, sorry. Is the landing gear effectively automatic or does the co-pilot only change it if the pilot hasn't done it properly? Same with the flaps. I find if I raise the landing gear on takeoff then the co-pilot sometimes lowers it again (perhaps I've raised it just as he was also raising it). Also if I slow near the airport then he lowers the landing gear and I have to increase rpm to compensate, at which point he raises it again and I have to lower the revs. What am I doing wrong please?
(I did try google and looking in the manual and I realise that the performance charts will probably help).
Thanks very much.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: Copilot and the Landing Gear

Post by bobsk8 »

tbaac wrote:Hi
I bought the Connie last year and have now gone back and am trying to learn it.
I've had fun starting her up and working through the warm up and run-up checks.
However, I have a couple of silly questions, sorry. Is the landing gear effectively automatic or does the co-pilot only change it if the pilot hasn't done it properly? Same with the flaps. I find if I raise the landing gear on takeoff then the co-pilot sometimes lowers it again (perhaps I've raised it just as he was also raising it). Also if I slow near the airport then he lowers the landing gear and I have to increase rpm to compensate, at which point he raises it again and I have to lower the revs. What am I doing wrong please?
(I did try google and looking in the manual and I realise that the performance charts will probably help).
Thanks very much.
Co Pilot doesn't do anything in the Connie except make announcements. Check your assignments for flaps and gear to make sure you don't have duplicate assignments causing a toggle.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Lol. Thanks Bobsk8. That will be why I couldn't find anything in the manual about how to 'Turn him off' then. I'll check my controller assignments later. Thanks for the reply.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I've found many times that P3D auto-assigns the "reverse"-buttons on my Saitek-throttles to various items, including landing gear, view change, and much more. Very frustrating, especially now that my throttles are getting old and ever so slightly "spiky".

So check all your mappings for each controller - you might find much more that can make your life difficult. How about one of the throttle levers having gear up when on the idle/reverse detent? Just what you need when you're landing, eh? :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Thanks Medtner. I'm still using FSX SE, holding out for AccuSim to come to FSW 8)
My TQ is a CH Products one and I had problems with spiky-ness as well. Looking at the Engineer's panel the throttles could be seen bouncing up and down and it was impossible to hold a steady rpm (not good for the engines when it's jumping between 500 and 2000....). Maybe recalibrating would have helped a bit, but I set them up in fsuipc with filtering on. Smooth as anything now.
I suspect the landing gear is one of the buttons on my joystick but I'll check all the controllers.

Its a new FSX-SE install (old HD gave up). I've been adding add-ons one at a time. The Connie. Then got FSGRW working with it (added simconnect and fsuipc). UK2000 airports. I'll add FTX England back on again I think. Then put the 172 and Cub back. Where did all the fps go? :)

edit: Happy days: I just found I've FSX licenses for the Comanche and Cherokee. I thought I had P3D v2 licenses but I was wrong :D
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”