GSX

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

GSX

Post by bobsk8 »

I have had GSX for a couple of years, and used it all the time when I flew tube liners. Haven't used it since I started flying A2A aircraft, and today I looked in the menu for aircraft and saw the L 049 listed there. I updated the program, and now it works perfectly with the Connie. No more pushing back using slew.

8) Image
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Re: GSX

Post by Molly - A2A »

Now that's cool :) The functionality that has been added to GSX over the years is awesome.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: GSX

Post by flapman »

Hi Bob,

Don't mean to tell you how to fly the Connie (also I don't have GSX) but wanted to give you some background on terminal operations with these propliners. You don't have to worry about pushing back propliners (if you don't want). Historically, they 'powered' out of their parking spots for departure. See Images such as this one of classic apron scenes.

This aircraft was designed and operated before airlines and airports devised the system of parking aircraft nose into the terminal and using a push crew to reverse the aircraft onto the taxiway. Back then, there was more space for aircraft to turn around in their parking space. I don't know if GSX can handle aircraft parked at an angle, but my suggestion is to park the aircraft turned to the right either 45, 90, or 135 degrees from the terminal face. This presents the left aft passenger exit to the gate, and eases the turn out for departure.

I've seen several users push a Connie back, and didn't know if you guys knew this operational fact. Have fun!

EDIT: There is also footage on youtube of modern Constellations putting the props into reverse and backing up without a tug. Considering these aircraft hail from a simpler time, with less restrictions, this could be an interesting exercise.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”