Original L-049 Cockpit?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Original L-049 Cockpit?

Post by caribpilot »

Just came across a photo of the TWA L-049 cockpit. Can anyone identify the instruments highlighted in the photo? Also, was this the "original" cockpit of all early L-049s?

M.Carter
Private Pilot

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Original L-049 Cockpit?

Post by Gypsy Baron »

That appears to be Howard Hughes so I would expect that aircraft to be a 'test article' and those gauges above the glare shield are not standard equipment on the production models but only installed for testing and evaluation.

The switch on the lower console looks like some sort of selector -- fuel tank, fire extinguisher, vacuum source, etc. - Not a selector switch at all. See my edit below....

EDIT: Looking a bit closer at that pedestal I see that the gauge in question is mounted below an attitude indicator and appears to have what looks like angular markings and two needles and may be associated with an ADF or radio compass. On later models there is a Radio Compass Control Box located in that position.

Paul

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Found another picture of this same view taken at higher res. Looks like the labels on the upper group of mystery things say "2000 feet" (left one) and "500 feet" (right one).

Edit: I found it. It's an early form of a radar warning system: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news- ... d514970344

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

ClipperLuna wrote:Found another picture of this same view taken at higher res. Looks like the labels on the upper group of mystery things say "2000 feet" (left one) and "500 feet" (right one).

Edit: I found it. It's an early form of a radar warning system: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news- ... d514970344
Ah, nice discovery. Thanks for the post!

Paul

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

"Radar Warning" is kind of a misnomer in modern context.

In actuality, it was a form of terrain/traffic avoidance using a modified radio altimeter "radar". Essentially it used a fixed "radar" beam that was aimed at an angle ahead of the airplane. It was designed to trigger when the return signal reached a certain strength that correlated with approx. 2000 feet of slant range to the airplane. In an L-049, that was plenty of time to avoid an oncoming mountain or look for an approaching plane. In a modern jet, it'd be useless since you'd cross that 2000 feet in about the time it took for you to recognize that the light was flashing.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Found this video last night of a walkaround of an L-049

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls92U1hk8Bk
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”