Some questions regarding Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Henry_C
Airman Basic

Some questions regarding Connie

Post by Henry_C »

Dear all,

I experience a few issues in the Connie for FSX:SE and I hope anyone can help.

1. When I try to manually operate the cabin pressurization system, this does not seem to work. I am pretty sure that all valves and settings have been set correctly, but the cabin pressure drops below the target cabin pressure. When I leave it to the FE, no setting is changed, but the cabin immediately starts to pressurize. Anybody else seeing this?

2. When initializing an AP-guided turn by setting a new AP heading, the plane makes a highly uncoordinated turn. It looks like the aileron is turning in the opposite direction, leading to too low a bank and therefor a badly slipping turn. Rudder, aileron and elevator AP levers all on. Manual turns are beautiful, by the way.

3. When a GPS is visible, the AP heading can be set in increments of 1 degree. When flying without GPS, which I prefer for a plane of this age, the AP heading increment amounts to 10 degrees. This means that proper AP heading control is only possible when the GPS is visible. Is this a bug?

Apart from this, the Connie is truly a work of art.

Best regards,

Henry

Henry_C
Airman Basic

Re: Some questions regarding Connie

Post by Henry_C »

Hi,

Is there somebody else who observes the same issues I mentioned? It would also be really helpful if I would know if things work differently on other systems. I am using FSX:SE on Windows 7 64.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

Henry

Henry_C
Airman Basic

Post by Henry_C »

Hi,

Just an update from my side:

Issue 1: A mistake from my side. Misread the target cabin altitude reading (inches vs 1000 ft). All working well now.
Issue 2: Still the same. Uncoordinated turns under AP when changing heading.
Issue 3: Really weird. When GPS is visible I always have 1 degree increments. When GPS is not visible I most of the time have 10 degree increments, but sometimes also 1 degree.

Regards,

Henry

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
You dont mention which autopilot you are useing , but from discription , i would say the sperry , this pitch up during turns is normal and needs to be anticipated by you , you can either disconnect the elevator from the autopilot during the turn , then re engauge once turn complete , which means you control the pitch manually , or set a bit of nose down trim then add small turn , then trim until turn complete.
I use FSX+ACCELERATION on win 7 64 bit machine.
As for gps or none gps turn rates , i always use the mouse wheel on the control to get really fine movements.
regards alan. 8)

Henry_C
Airman Basic

Post by Henry_C »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. And yes, I am using the Sperry autopilot. It is not the elevator that is creating the uncoordinated turn, I thought. Like I said it really looks like the bank (i.e. roll controlled by aileron) is not in line with the yawing motion (controlled by rudder). I even see the steering wheel turn in the opposite direction. But I will definitely try if the situations improves if I disconnect the elevator. I did not try that before.

I also use the mouse wheel on the control to induce small movements. Nevertheless, sometimes the AP heading makes jumps of 10 degrees only. I am at a loss why this happens.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer. I will try like you said and report back.

Best wishes,

Henry

Henry_C
Airman Basic

Post by Henry_C »

Hi Alan,

I tried the autopilot turning the elevator AP control off. No luck. E.g., when commanding a left turn using the autopilot, the yoke turns right, while the plane banks left. I know that this can be a normal situation in a coordinated turn, but the amount of counter action by the aileron is too much. In the left turn case the slip ball in the turn indicator seriously moves right. In order to keep my passengers happy, I now make manual turns only.

Regarding the issue with the 10 degree increment of the AP heading, I found the culprit. When I have the GPS on and visible I can set the heading in 1 degree increments. When I then remove the GPS from the cockpit the heading increment becomes 10 degrees. When I make the GPS appear again, the increment returns to 1 degree. This is reproducible. But when I first turn off the GPS and then make the GPS disappear from the cockpit, the increment remains a 1 degree! I do not know if this is the case only for the GPS I am using, but in any case, I use the Mindstar 430. Perhaps this will be of help to some other people as well. For me the problem is solved now.

Best regards,

Henri

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Henri,

Regarding the autopilot, the one in the Connie is one of the first ever created and is very basic. It's not designed to make turns, only to maintain straight and level flight.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Henry_C
Airman Basic

Post by Henry_C »

Hi Scott,

Thanks. Good to know I am doing things correctly. The Connie is a wonderful plane.

Best regards,

Henri

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”