This is the Concorde's Predecessor

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Taka taka
Senior Airman

This is the Concorde's Predecessor

Post by Taka taka »

As I am tooling along I find my instinct telling me the nose is pointed down, so I trim upwards.

But it is the cockpit canted downwards relative to the airfoil and not the aircraft descending.
And then the scale of the rate of climb gauge adds to my sense of discomfort. It is more sensitive than what I am used to so I see the needle oscillating and then I realize I moved +/- 100 feet total in the last few minutes.

I am really enjoying this.
"Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: This is the Concorde's Predecessor

Post by CAPFlyer »

If you have any significant nose-down pitch, you need to climb or slow down. The camber of the wing was designed so that you fly as close to 0* pitch as possible during cruise. If you're experiencing a significant nose down, then you're too light and/or too fast for your current altitude and thus needs to change one or the other to obtain a level deck angle. You will find, that this is actually more efficient to do because even that little bit of negative pitch on the fuselate is creating more extra drag than you're gaining with decrease in Angle of Attack of the wing. With propliners, this is your primary concern - drag. You want to work to minimize the drag you are putting on the airframe as it means that you'll be flying the most efficient. There are times it can't be helped (short flights with light payload), but otherwise, you want to be flying as efficiently as possible and that means as low drag as possible.

I wish FSAviator was still around to update his Propliner Tutorial using the L-049, but in the absence of that, I would suggest you read the propliner tutorial for more information on the ideas of "how to fly" during the L-049's heyday -

http://www.calclassic.com/propliner_tutorial.htm

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

You misunderstood me.

The nose is canted not the airfoil.
It is a perception while flying level.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

No, I didn't misunderstand. Please read the post again.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

CAPFlyer wrote: I wish FSAviator was still around to update his Propliner Tutorial using the L-049, but in the absence of that, I would suggest you read the propliner tutorial for more information on the ideas of "how to fly" during the L-049's heyday -

http://www.calclassic.com/propliner_tutorial.htm
Wow, thank you for that. I will read it with great interest. It sounds like we need an AoA gauge. I wonder what the Attitude Indicator calibration setting is for the best "nose angle" in cruise.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

You want to stay as close to 0* pitch as possible. This results in the least drag for the design. This might result in a positive wing angle, but it is the lowest drag profile for the airplane as a whole.

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

CAPFlyer wrote:No, I didn't misunderstand. Please read the post again.
I did. You misunderstood me.

I do not have any nose down pitch. None.

I have a perception of nose down pitch due to the way the cockpit is perched on the nose - ala the concorde.
That was my point.
I am flying level.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Developing the proper sight picture at various phases of flight is super critical for a pilot. This is no different from any other aircraft transition.
Last edited by Oracle427 on 05 Oct 2017, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

Oracle427 wrote:Developing the proper sight picture.At various phases of flight is super critical for a pilot. This is no different from any other aircraft transition.
Absolutely.

But what is different about the Connie compared to the Comanche or Cherokee? And it is not just size. It is the way the cockpit was perched forward.
The whole design process of the Connie is fascinating for me. It wasn't a vision of beauty that inspired the aircraft, it was a set of specifications that dictated the eventual design. And it turned out beautiful.

If you transition from a C182 to a PA 24, there is very little "work" involved. Even though they are different configurations, you adjust your seat and go.
When you start flying the Connie you have to take into account this difference in view.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

While I agree with 99% of what you said, it all comes down to our opinions. In the end the physics aren't going to change though we perceive the views differently.

I find that even the difference in sight pictures between the Cherokee, Skyhawk and Skylane and specific models of these aircraft is very dramatic for me. I find the difference between the C172N and C172S to be massive and it takes a couple of flights to really settle in on each one after some time away.

Having flown right seat in a Citation Bravo a couple of times, it feels really strange with the steeply down sloped nose and the excellent forward view. It could appear as being pitched down, especially when near the ground as compared to the types I'm usually in. You just have to do whatever it takes to get the performance you require and accept what you see as the new normal. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

Oracle427 wrote:While I agree with 99% of what you said, it all comes down to our opinions. In the end the physics aren't going to change though we perceive the views differently.

I find that even the difference in sight pictures between the Cherokee, Skyhawk and Skylane and specific models of these aircraft is very dramatic for me. I find the difference between the C172N and C172S to be massive and it takes a couple of flights to really settle in on each one after some time away.

Having flown right seat in a Citation Bravo a couple of times, it feels really strange with the steeply down sloped nose and the excellent forward view. It could appear as being pitched down, especially when near the ground as compared to the types I'm usually in. You just have to do whatever it takes to get the performance you require and accept what you see as the new normal. :)
Good point.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”