Flap settings for normal approach and landing

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
blackbird7
Airman

Flap settings for normal approach and landing

Post by blackbird7 »

I am having a difficult time figuring out how the flap percentages in the manual translate to the Takeoff, Approach, and Landing labels displayed in the Connie's cockpit.

On page 132, the manual states to lower flaps 40% during approach. At first, I thought that this was the Landing setting labeled on the flap lever and cockpit gauge. However, page 133 of the manual lists a 50% flap landing setting for partial engine failure, and page 145 lists 80% flap landing setting during emergency operations. Page 126 mentions up to 60% flaps for short runway or heavily loaded takeoff procedures.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Flap settings for normal approach and landing

Post by flapman »

Here's my best guess based on operating notes, other aircraft, and general transport experience.

UP=0%
TAKEOFF=60%
APRCH=80%
LNDG=100%

Use TAKEOFF for takeoff (I guess UP is also an option, I never use it) and during intermediate segments of the approach. APPROACH is used after intercepting the glidepath for runway of intended landing. LANDING should be deployed "when landing is assured." You should time the last flap extension so as to slow from approach to reference speed at 50' AGL. There should be no power change needed for this last speed reduction as LANDING flaps adds considerable drag.

For engine failures, you generally want to land faster to offset asymmetrical thrust with increased rudder authority. APPROACH is probably appropriate. This is probably a good setting for other emergencies, unless stopping distance is a factor. In that case, I would probably expect to use LANDING flaps.

blackbird7
Airman

Re: Flap settings for normal approach and landing

Post by blackbird7 »

flapman wrote:Here's my best guess based on operating notes, other aircraft, and general transport experience.

UP=0%
TAKEOFF=60%
APRCH=80%
LNDG=100%

Use TAKEOFF for takeoff (I guess UP is also an option, I never use it) and during intermediate segments of the approach. APPROACH is used after intercepting the glidepath for runway of intended landing. LANDING should be deployed "when landing is assured." You should time the last flap extension so as to slow from approach to reference speed at 50' AGL. There should be no power change needed for this last speed reduction as LANDING flaps adds considerable drag.

For engine failures, you generally want to land faster to offset asymmetrical thrust with increased rudder authority. APPROACH is probably appropriate. This is probably a good setting for other emergencies, unless stopping distance is a factor. In that case, I would probably expect to use LANDING flaps.
Thank you flapman for the insight. What you are saying makes sense and jives better with what I would expect. I think I was getting caught up with the percentages and trying to decode the 40% value during the approach phase. I couldn't find a similar question in the forums addressing this so thought it might be just me who's confused.

Thanks again!

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”