Tutorial Flight

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
slait
Airman

Tutorial Flight

Post by slait »

Is there a tutorial flight somewhere that I'm not seeing? Something the walks you through each stage of the flight and what switches to throw etc? I have to admit, I'm completely lost in the cockpit.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Re: Tutorial Flight

Post by jeepinforfun »

Try this one from SIMCFI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ln5Z6AtAsY&t=7s not really a tutorial flight but he hits all the marks.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

slait
Airman

Post by slait »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

And don't forget your manual too for reference

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

slait
Airman

Post by slait »

Lewis - A2A wrote:And don't forget your manual too for reference

thanks,
Lewis
Thanks for that. I appreciate the effort that went into the manual, but I still struggle. Most of the 148 page manual is really the history of the aircraft, the inner workings of the features, etc. while only the last 20 pages or so are dedicated to teaching you anything about flying the aircraft. With that, the normal operations section gives me a checklist of sorts, which is nice, but it often refers to flipping a switch that I either can't find in the panel reference diagrams, or is called something different.

It's a beautiful aircraft, and I want to like it very much, but honestly it's really spending more and more time in the virtual hanger because I can't seem to figure it out. I have other complex aircraft that I fly and enjoy so I feel like I'm capable of learning it with the proper tools, but what's provided doesn't seem to click. I think a document that walks through a first flight would go a long way to making it a bit more accessible.

Just me 2c.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Don't give up and hangar the Connie. The learning curve can be frustrating at times. That's why I have spent my flightsim time in the Connie with COTS turned off. For me, it is easier to learn how to fly this aircraft without being an "official captain" & with one's flight engineer doing all the work he gets paid to do by the so-called "Company Store". What I do is once the aircraft is at altitude and on autopilot, I pan around the flight deck to familiarize myself more with where everything is, what switches and knobs are what and their position while in flight.

If the manual is not all that helpful for you and it may not be, then don't be afraid to post questions here. There are a lot of "seasoned" Connie captains that probably would love to help you through the learning curve frustrations. Finally, the official A2A promo video of the Connie is not meant to be a Tutorial flight, but it may still help you some if you have not already watched it.

Hang in there!

Raymie

slait
Airman

Post by slait »

Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I've managed to start the engines after watching a Youtube video, and 30 minutes of trial and error. Most of my issue this time was that I was flooding the engine. Clearly there is some timing there that I'm not getting yet, but a tip here on the forums about starting without the primer on a flooded engine got things going again. I'm now on a climb to 18000 feet, we'll see how the rest of the flight goes.

Thanks for the replies.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”