Is Connie sys demanding under FSX?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Is Connie sys demanding under FSX?

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

The subject of the topic says it all. ;)
Is A2A Lockheed Constellation l-049 very system demanding under FSX in comparison to other A2A single engine aircraft? I do not have a multi engine plane from A2A and very much like to test one. Currently I am doubting between B-17 and Connie. I am planning an upgrade at some point and moving to P3D v4 from FSX (huge leap I know ;) ) and I plan to get a Bundle pack. My question is again, are multi engine A2A planes too system demanding compared to their single engine counterparts. Your opinions and observations would be much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Is Connie sys demanding under FSX?

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I run fsx boxed on a i5-3570k @3,4Ghz with a GTX960 2GB.
For me scenery seem to be draining frames mo matter what A2A addon I use. when clear of addon scenery all i good. See what A2A planes I have in my signature.
I'm actually just backing up my system as I write this to install a SSD and I think I'll install FSX SE. hopefully it will run a bit smoother. I don't get many OOM's as I don't use a lot of complex scenery, maybe that helps??

Me nonscientific conclusion is, the multi engine aircraft don't makes much of a difference.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for this info. I have FSX boxed too, on Intel Core2Duo 2.6Ghz and GTX750Ti 2GB, 1920x1080 resolution.
My FSX is on a 256GB SSD though and I cannot complain. :mrgreen: You are right about the scenery. I use only FTX Global Base and no complex airports from them or any other vendor. I noticed some frame drop around complex scenery especially in C182 or T-6 the rest are fine. (My current A2A planes are also listed in my signature) Thanks for sharing your thoughts once again! :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Not really. The quadrupling of engines is offset with some simplifications. IMHO if you can run the A2A C172 you can run any of the multis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I just bought the Connie for P3D. In the VC, I'm getting about 10 fps less in the Connie than the Texan. No difference in external views, though.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

flapman wrote:Not really. The quadrupling of engines is offset with some simplifications. IMHO if you can run the A2A C172 you can run any of the multis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks flapman! That is useful. :mrgreen:
patful wrote:I just bought the Connie for P3D. In the VC, I'm getting about 10 fps less in the Connie than the Texan. No difference in external views, though.
Patful, thanks for the update. What is your target fps set? Mine is 30fps and T-6 is one of the two "more demanding" to system IMO. If I get, 10fps drop from 30 max is no good prognosis for my sim. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

LZ-WIL wrote:What is your target fps set? Mine is 30fps and T-6 is one of the two "more demanding" to system IMO. If I get, 10fps drop from 30 max is no good prognosis for my sim. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Okay, I'll revise my numbers. Just loaded up the Connie again, and the frame rates are actually better than the first time, not sure why. It's only a few fps less than the Texan. I have my frames set to unlimited to eliminate stutter. On the runway at KDFW with ASP4/ASPA under pretty cloudy conditions, no addon scenery, I'm getting 58-66 fps in the default Bonanza, 52-58 in the Texan, and 48-54 in the Connie. Woohoo!

i5 7600K 3.8/4.2 unclocked, 6GB GTX 1060, 16GB 2400 DDR4, 1920x1080.

Pat

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

patful wrote:
LZ-WIL wrote:What is your target fps set? Mine is 30fps and T-6 is one of the two "more demanding" to system IMO. If I get, 10fps drop from 30 max is no good prognosis for my sim. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Okay, I'll revise my numbers. Just loaded up the Connie again, and the frame rates are actually better than the first time, not sure why. It's only a few fps less than the Texan. I have my frames set to unlimited to eliminate stutter. On the runway at KDFW with ASP4/ASPA under pretty cloudy conditions, no addon scenery, I'm getting 58-66 fps in the default Bonanza, 52-58 in the Texan, and 48-54 in the Connie. Woohoo!

i5 7600K 3.8/4.2 unclocked, 6GB GTX 1060, 16GB 2400 DDR4, 1920x1080.

Pat
Thanks Pat, that is useful - especially with the frame numbers and your sys. specs. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

LZ-WIL wrote:Thanks Pat, that is useful - especially with the frame numbers and your sys. specs. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
You're most welcome, Will. I'm always hoping to get that kind of info regarding scenery addons, but it never happens.

Pat

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I am still in doubts which one to get B-17 or L-049 as my first multi engine aircraft. I have some fears that the Connie along with it's complexity, will be too demanding to my humble sim platform. The other "big problem" is that, I really like them both. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

When I was on FSX I found the B-17 comparable to the T-6 as far as system demand. The Connie was a bit more, I had some issues when changing views, weird crashes and OOM's. Since switching to Steam I haven't had any issues with performance other than one OOM on a long P-51 flight. I use all Orbx products for scenery expect for regions, all my sliders are in the default postions.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

AviationAtWar wrote:When I was on FSX I found the B-17 comparable to the T-6 as far as system demand. The Connie was a bit more, I had some issues when changing views, weird crashes and OOM's. Since switching to Steam I haven't had any issues with performance other than one OOM on a long P-51 flight. I use all Orbx products for scenery expect for regions, all my sliders are in the default postions.
Thanks AviationAtWar, I appreciate this! I remember the comparison between B-17 and T-6 in a similar post of mine regarding B-17 in FSX.
I think, I'll keep the Connie acquisition for a later moment and not rush it because of a sales. It is a wonderful plane and I would not hesitate to pay it's full price. Just don't want to get in the situation of having the plane and not being able to enjoy it because of my system limitations.

Cheerz,
Will

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hey Will,

Personally I don't think you'll find the Connie any worse than A2A's GA add-ons. Here are three quick comparison shots I threw together in FSX-SE (DX10). This is with an ageing i7-2600k @ 4.53 GHz and a GTX970. Scenery is the default KCLM in Orbx PNW so not a high-detail airport.

Mustang | Cherokee | Connie

The figures in square brackets are min, mean and max FPS respectively. :)

Cheers,
Nick

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Nick M wrote:Hey Will,

Personally I don't think you'll find the Connie any worse than A2A's GA add-ons. Here are three quick comparison shots I threw together in FSX-SE (DX10). This is with an ageing i7-2600k @ 4.53 GHz and a GTX970. Scenery is the default KCLM in Orbx PNW so not a high-detail airport.

Mustang | Cherokee | Connie

The figures in square brackets are min, mean and max FPS respectively. :)

Cheers,
Nick
Hey Nick,

Thanks! Those screens were very very useful. Now it is getting very tempting! :mrgreen:
I just got the B-17 with the Accu-Sim pack! :mrgreen: :shock: :roll: :mrgreen: Boy what a different beast compared to the single engine planes.
Managed to start all 4 engines - turned them to the FE then. Took off - sweated a 100 times. approached for landing - misaligned with the runway and made successful go around. On second approach and landing almost trimmed some trees, but landed successfully. I like the crew experience and the engine management option.
On the performance side - very steady 29-30fps outside, 20-26 on the inside - better than my Cessna 182 and the T-6 in some cases.

Cheerz,
Will

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”