Cruise phase of the flight - how to trigger it?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
daniel_prates
Airman

Cruise phase of the flight - how to trigger it?

Post by daniel_prates »

So I have noticed that some things we do trigger the 'flight phase' we're current in, prompting the captain and 'betty' to start making appropriate remarks on that matter. For instance, flaps down one notch triggers the captain to ask to have the cabin set for take-off and so on.

Those flight 'phases' appear clearly marked on the F-2 control panel. So far so good.

What I can't seem to get right is how to convince my crew that we are in the cruise phase of the flight. I can fly for 8.000km above 25k feet and it will keep saying we're in the climb phase. I even tried keeping the engines running both at and below the engine specs for cruise phase (29 manifold, 2200 rpm, 140 psi), but it makes no difference. I am always in 'climb'.

If it were just for the mere sake of Betty serving drinks I wouldn't mind that much. But the thing is, I cannot convince my FE to switch the fuel mixture to auto-lean - am I guessing, that happens because I can't trigger we entering the 'cruise' phase of the flight, rather keeping it all the time in the 'climb phase' regardless of what I do.

This has obvious consequences on my range, as the engines consume more fuel in auto-rich. And turning off the FE makes me lose all the other advantages.

What should I do?

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cruise phase of the flight - how to trigger it?

Post by Tug002 »

When I get to my desired altitude I drop the RPM and manifold pressure to what I want and lean out the mixture myself. you don't have to shut off the FE to lean out the mix. That is what works for me.
Hope this helps you out.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I find if you level off at or just above your flight plan alt , and bring props to 23 and manifold back to cruise power , you will notice after a short delay , that the engineer pulls mixtures back to auto lean , a short delay after this , the pilot announcies cruise.
regards alan. 8)

daniel_prates
Airman

Post by daniel_prates »

Thanks for the answers!

Tug002, actually, yes you can fiddle with the mixture levers with FE on, it is not locked like the superchargers levers. But the FE will soon turn them back to the auto-rich position. I imagine he (the FE) understands that, it being the climb phase, the correct setting is 'auto-rich' and he will simply put them in the 'correct' position. So this doesn't solve it, unfortunately.

Alan, interesting idea, I have tried though and am not still sure if merely leveling around your flight plan altitude is the 'trigger' that puts you in the cruise phase. I have flown flights with no plan whatsoever and the phase changed from climb to cruise, albeit with no clear thing I did was the trigger for that. Although, It must be said that a few times I did just that, *and* turned off seatbelts and no smoking signs at the same time, the phase instantly changed to 'cruise'.

At the end of the day I am still not convinced we zeroed in the specific trigger that changes the climb phase to the cruise phase. I wonder if anyone can answer that with certainty.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Hey there daniel_prates, when I get to my desired altitude at around 21000 or 25000 feet I drop my MP to around 24 and my RPM to around 1800 then lean out the mix. The FE does not set it back to rich on me then. After a little bit they then announce we are now in cruse. This usually keeps me in the low .40 cents per mile range if there is not to heavy a head wind.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

After leveling off at cruise altitude and pulling the MP & RPMs back, keep an eye on the Cabin Climb needle.

It may take a minute or two, but once the cabin target altitude is reached and the Cabin Climb needle settles down, you should hear the FE announce "Pressurization Set".

The Crew's Report should change to "Cruise" about the same time as the FE's call.
FAC257

daniel_prates
Airman

Post by daniel_prates »

Allright thank you both! I'll try both suggestions.

D

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”