Um, is the tail "supposed" to be tilted backwards?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Um, is the tail "supposed" to be tilted backwards?

Post by BraselC5048 »

I;m pretty much wondering if the tailplane supposed to be tilted somewhat backwards, including a non-vertical rudder hinge line, (inclined forward and downward), or whether that's a mistake on the design team's part. I haven't seen any other fs connies with a tail like that, and it looks rather strange. If that's something that's supposed to be like that and nobody else has captured it, than that's fine, but it looks more like a design team screwup. (Or is it only that way on l-049's? My other experiences are with l-749's and l-1049's.)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Um, is the tail "supposed" to be tilted backwards?

Post by AviationAtWar »

Looks fine to me?

BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Post by BraselC5048 »

Ah, I get it. The tail's level in flight; the aircraft's landing gear attitude doesn't correspond to flying attitude. I haven't actually gotten the time to fly it yet; (although I've done a ton of reskinning); I guess if I had I wouldn't have asked this question. :oops:

(Although to be fair, my l-749 and l-1049G's do sit level on their gear, IIRC. Perhaps the error was there, or perhaps the gear was changed when the body got lengthened.)

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The later Constellations, and especially the Super Constellations were nearly completely new airplanes. Their only commonality with the original Connies were the general shape and the wing airfoil. The tails were completely re-contoured, the elevator design was tweaked, the wings enlarged, the wing/body join redesigned to create less drag, and the actual fuselage profile was "slimmed" to provide sufficient volume throughout its increased length. Even the engine cowlings were completely redesigned to fit the later model R3350s with all aft exhaust collectors and shortly after, the Turbo Compound R3350.

BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Post by BraselC5048 »

CAPFlyer wrote:The later Constellations, and especially the Super Constellations were nearly completely new airplanes. Their only commonality with the original Connies were the general shape and the wing airfoil. The tails were completely re-contoured, the elevator design was tweaked, the wings enlarged, the wing/body join redesigned to create less drag, and the actual fuselage profile was "slimmed" to provide sufficient volume throughout its increased length. Even the engine cowlings were completely redesigned to fit the later model R3350s with all aft exhaust collectors and shortly after, the Turbo Compound R3350.
Ah. That explains a heck of a lot then. I had thought that the fuselage seemed somehow thicker on the l-049; apparently it was. Also explains why a super connie release isn't going to happen, much as I wish for it - it's still "a Connie" from the prospective of those who would buy it, but you'd be essentially starting from scratch.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”