Fuel Management on Longrange Flights

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Boeingman
Airman

Fuel Management on Longrange Flights

Post by Boeingman »

Hello everybody,
currently I am the victim of a strong Connie addiction.
Last night I was flying my first real long range flight from Prestwick to Gander. About 75% into the flight both inner engines were stalling just the moment I was AFK for a short moment.
When I returned I noticed that the inner tanks were completely empty, so my conclusion is: the engine stall was produced by a sudden lack of fuel. I was not able to get the engines running again and finished the flight on the outer engines, which was quite fun.
So my question is:
What does the SOP suggest in terms of fuel management on a long range flight? Does every tank feed its own engine?
The crossfeed instructions from the manual didn't work to solve the proplem..

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,
Julius

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Fuel Management on Longrange Flights

Post by alan CXA651 »

Fuel management question as been asked before , the same goes for fuel planning on flights , just search , but when all tanks have same amount each eng is feeding from its own tank , fuel calc different people use different ways , i have found on average that each eng uses 700gph on climb 600gph in cruise and about 500gph on decent , if any tank reaches 10% of fuel qty , it triggers an emergancy , also if you use as2016/asn for weather , once a route is planed , you can tune to 122.05 for enroute weather .
regards alan. 8)

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Hello,

I haven't seen it posted in the manual, but there are fuel system diagrams floating around the net.

Basically:
Have the fuel tanks set for "tank-to-engine" for takeoff and landing.
When you get into cruise climb, set up the engines to feed off tanks 1 & 4 only (The ones with the most fuel)
When the fuel quantities are equal for all four tanks, return to a "tank-to-engine" configuration until landing. At that point, all engines will run out of fuel at the same time. However, you will have been long on the ground by then 8) .

EDIT: Just looked, the entire process of fuel loading and transfer decisions is described in detail on p.124 in the A2A Manual.
Last edited by flapman on 02 Jul 2017, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

flapman wrote:Hello,

I haven't seen it posted in the manual, but there are fuel system diagrams floating around the net.

Basically:
At that point, all engines will run out of fuel at the same time. However, you will have been long on the ground by then 8) .
haha :D :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”