Things that might get you sent to jail

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
garner
Airman Basic

Things that might get you sent to jail

Post by garner »

My pilot is in jail, his career over, life in ruins. But I'm not sure why, is there a list of the things that might merit such draconian punishment from the authorities?

I flying from somewhere in the Bahamas to Miami with a VIP on board. The flight was going very well, no problems at all, until hitting some totally apocalyptic weather about 50 miles out. Thunder, lightning, wind shear, terrible turbulence and low visibility at night.

It was the worst conditions I've ever seen and the most difficult landing. I think I hit the runway I was aiming for, but the most important thing was that everyone got down in one piece.

Anyway, I was really pleased with that and was expecting a round of applause as the actual touchdown was silky smooth. But instead I noticed a message saying I'd been jailed, I think I clicked it off in panic before reading any more (if there was an explanation). Next time I started a flight I was back to zero air miles. What could have happened? Will my pilot ever be released? Can he file an appeal?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Things that might get you sent to jail

Post by Scott - A2A »

What weather program are you using? My guess is you shouldn't have made a flight through such weather, should have diverted or returned to your starting location.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Bad airmanship is main cause , you should have used ASN enroute weather 122.05 for planed route , take note of sig/air mets , if need be divert around any thunderstorm/windshear , or cancel flight till better weather , seatbelts on if in moderate to severe turbulance slight chop you can get away with , rapid decent/climb rates in excess of 500fpm is not good for pressurization or pax comphart in order to get out of jail , its a new career and aircraft hrs back to zero.
You basically endangered the pax and aircraft flying into the conditions you discribed , i was going to do the same flight in the connie , but on firing up the sim , betty said , should we be flying in this , so powered up the gpu/batt put radios on and tuned to 122.05 , she was right the forcast was unexceptable , i cancelled the vatsim flight and waited till next day , i got the better weather i needed.
regards alan. 8)

garner
Airman Basic

Post by garner »

Ahh, I didn't know I had to avoid the weather. It came as a surprise - using Active Sky, no flight plan and accepting whatever realtime weather it gave me. Just supposed to be a short flight for fun.

Sending the pilot to jail is a bit harsh, though. I mean, would that happen in real life? Ultimately it was a successful flight (nobody died) so if it was just a little risky then perhaps ordering some retraining would be appropriate. Not prison.

I was a passenger on a flight from Vancouver to Heathrow a few years ago and the turbulence towards the end was incredible. I could feel myself lifting out of my seat a couple of times when the plane dropped, a few people were crying and screaming, and a woman sitting across the aisle kept vomiting. I hope the pilot wasn't jailed, it was a good landing in the end.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

garner wrote:Ahh, I didn't know I had to avoid the weather. It came as a surprise - using Active Sky, no flight plan and accepting whatever realtime weather it gave me. Just supposed to be a short flight for fun.

Sending the pilot to jail is a bit harsh, though. I mean, would that happen in real life? Ultimately it was a successful flight (nobody died) so if it was just a little risky then perhaps ordering some retraining would be appropriate. Not prison.

I was a passenger on a flight from Vancouver to Heathrow a few years ago and the turbulence towards the end was incredible. I could feel myself lifting out of my seat a couple of times when the plane dropped, a few people were crying and screaming, and a woman sitting across the aisle kept vomiting. I hope the pilot wasn't jailed, it was a good landing in the end.
What you experienced when you were a passenger was (at most) severe turbulence, within the design parameters of the aircraft. Not fun to experience, but still manageable. What you had in the sim was probably Extreme turbulence, and that's a different beast. If nothing else, you would have damaged the airplane and, if the inquiry into the accident (it's an accident because the plane was damaged) found that you were grossly negligent (i.e. you could have diverted or avoided the weather enroute), then you could possibly face jail time. It doesn't happen much in the real world simply because most pilots of commercial aircraft have already had their "close encounter of the Thunderstorm Kind" early in their career when flying freight in light twins and know to avoid them like the plague. :)

Mr.Mugel
Airman First Class

Post by Mr.Mugel »

Just got busted as well.

Career wasn´t going stellar but ok. Had a short flight of about 180 miles in germany. Some medium weather preset by Orbx which had some severe turbulences indeed. Tried to climb up to FL170 (Which is quite high I guess for 180 miles) to avoid turbulences but they didn´t stop. Checked the weather, the turbulence layer had no ceiling, so I notched the turbulence down a bit. Flight continued quite calm, approach and landing were indeed okay at least. Checked the log and saw that I could change my flying uniform to the striped 2 piece set with the number printed on.
Well, turbulence was quite severe but there was no way around those. And it wasn´t as bad as the one flight where the autopilot betrayed me after reengaging the elevator control resulting in the plane diving down towards the ground. Had to pull out quite ugly there and the crew wasn´t heavy, pax screamed a bit, but no too negative comment in the log book and definitifely no jail. Also today I had no comments from the crew or pax during flight.

When I fly the Connie (FSX SE), I sometimes get a longer microstutter after which some things seem to go wrong, most noticeable is that the engines are suddenly at max RPM / boost and only as the sim resumes (couple of ms only) the engines slow back down to normal. Might it be that such a feature gives me some bad readings on the accelerometers?

Was just 11 flights and about 3000 miles, but still. I hope I get to keep the engine hours at least. A "Used" feature like with the warbirds would be awesome here, too.
Kinda' like Accusim....

garner
Airman Basic

Post by garner »

CAPFlyer wrote:What you experienced when you were a passenger was (at most) severe turbulence, within the design parameters of the aircraft. Not fun to experience, but still manageable. What you had in the sim was probably Extreme turbulence, and that's a different beast. If nothing else, you would have damaged the airplane and, if the inquiry into the accident (it's an accident because the plane was damaged) found that you were grossly negligent (i.e. you could have diverted or avoided the weather enroute), then you could possibly face jail time. It doesn't happen much in the real world simply because most pilots of commercial aircraft have already had their "close encounter of the Thunderstorm Kind" early in their career when flying freight in light twins and know to avoid them like the plague. :)
Thanks for explaining it, that does make sense. I tend to just point it in a direction and fly through whatever I encounter - I quite enjoy finding the worst weather and trying to save the passengers from my own terrible decisions.

As a suggestion, would it be possible to add a 'realism' setting to the career mode? Full realism would include sending you to jail and wiping your stats like it did for me, but perhaps a limited realism setting could disable that part of it.

Career mode is quite a 'gamey' feature for a flight sim anyway. I'd like to be able to track my miles flown, see how the crew rate me and all of that stuff, but when a single error will basically erase my save I'm not sure if I'll use it again. Which is a shame, really.

Apropos of nothing, there was a game a few years ago called Steel Battalion in which if you failed to hit the eject switch in time when your vehicle was about to explode, it would delete your save. All of your progress gone. Hardcore for sure, but needless to say this wasn't something that caught on in other games :-)

Emi
Airman

Post by Emi »

I got jailed today for recreating this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMTtGsRDMc

No idea why, I guess because the seatbelts were off at 2500ft.
I can promise you the real pilots of that flight were not jailed though :P
Best regards
Emanuel

captainjezz
Airman Basic

Post by captainjezz »

I ended up getting thrown in to jail over a heating issue?
The company held me responsible for it after landing at Mauritius. Kind of odd haha

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

Beware of medical emergencies also - not getting back on the ground quickly will land you in jail too! Might only be that a passenger sneezed but if the stewardess tells you someone is sick, land immediately!

Bill

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”