Flames - Update - with Video

The "Queen of the Skies"
Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Flames - Update - with Video

Post by Warbirds »

Update: Flames now come out of both front and rear stacks and come on with mp setting. High mp = flames so they are not on all the time. this livery with flames now available at SOH library and Flightsim.com library, search for Paul Grubich to find this and all my paints.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evjTvRmVDSo[/youtube]
Last edited by Warbirds on 18 Apr 2017, 16:36, edited 13 times in total.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Flames

Post by CAPFlyer »

I know that some people want them, but please, don't do this. It's not accurate to the airframe at all. The R3350 as installed on the L-049, L-649, and L-749, does *NOT* have visible flames at any throttle setting, much less that large. Only the Super Constellations with the PRT-equipped "Jet Stack" R3350s have visible flames, and they're short and blue when the engine is happy and turn a bit white when at Takeoff and METO power, but don't get significantly longer.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Many of the repaints are also inaccurate for the 049, many of us are not even pilots :) go ahead!
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

I will do this and it will be available with my next Connie Paint. I know this version rarely, if at all, had flames but not all of us are die hard serious hard cases and some of us just like to have fun. If you don't like it you don't have to use it, simple, but please do not tell me what I can do and cannot do.

I suppose you turn your nose up at fantasy paints as well because my next paint will be a fantasy paint with flame exhaust and corrected propeller disk coloring plus custom cockpit and other items.

Lighten up man, have some fun.
Paul Grubich 2018
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Warbirds wrote:I will do this and it will be available with my next Connie Paint. I know this version rarely, if at all, had flames but not all of us are die hard serious hard cases and some of us just like to have fun. If you don't like it you don't have to use it, simple, but please do not tell me what I can do and cannot do.

I suppose you turn your nose up at fantasy paints as well because my next paint will be a fantasy paint with flame exhaust and corrected propeller disk coloring plus custom cockpit and other items.

Lighten up man, have some fun.
I agree you can get carried away with being authentic. If I wanted all the hassle and rules of real world aviation I would still be an active real world pilot. I think a lot of folks have blurred the line between simulation and real world avation. They are two distinct disciplines if you will. Having fun is what simulation is about in my opinion.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Its better to know what is authentic or not. But its still a simulation, so some individual artistic license is available if needed.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Don't forget the front bank's stacks.

Hog Driver
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Hog Driver »

Hey buddy, I like them, make mine blue LOL!
Hog Driver

Alienware area51
Dual GeforceGTX 970
i7 3.30ghz
Windows 10 64 bit

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

This is way above my pay grade but I would guess that an .lua file would work. It would need to read the engines power output (could even be set to read each individual engine) and then turn the flames on at a pre-determined BMEP or something similar. I think this would do the trick. This would require FSUIPC to work of course.

Good luck Sir
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Interesting, thank you. I wish I knew more about this .lua stuff as it seems to be a great way to manage things like this.
Paul Grubich 2018

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Update, I have an offer from someone to make a .xml controller gauge for these flames but I need advice from you engine gurus here on what to set the on and off switch at (MP, RPM, or other?)
Paul Grubich 2018

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Can the flames simple be set to the throttle levers position?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

sixgun
Senior Airman

Post by sixgun »

bullfox wrote:Can the flames simple be set to the throttle levers position?
Kinda like afterburner on a jet sim

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

CAPFlyer wrote:I know that some people want them, but please, don't do this. It's not accurate to the airframe at all. The R3350 as installed on the L-049, L-649, and L-749, does *NOT* have visible flames at any throttle setting, much less that large. Only the Super Constellations with the PRT-equipped "Jet Stack" R3350s have visible flames, and they're short and blue when the engine is happy and turn a bit white when at Takeoff and METO power, but don't get significantly longer.
The I read this, it says "I know people want to have even more fun with the entertainment product they purchased from us... but please, don't help them do that. "

Which seems an odd position for a representative of a video game company to take. ;-)

Perhaps it bears saying that nothing A2A has ever developed or will ever develop is ACTUALLY just like flying an airplane. That's no insult at A2A; their stuff is phenomenal and really brings desktop simulation to a new level, I recommend it as highly as possible. But, it's still, at its heart, not really flying... just an approximation. No technology that currently exists can mimic actual flight with 100% accuracy. Even the latest - generation level D sims don't. They're wonderful training tools and meet certification requirements, but they aren't perfect. There's a reason that a pilot new to an airplane at an airline still flies his first several line trips as OE with a check airman. You can take a sharp trainee who's mastered greasing landings in the sim, but when you put him in the real plane, things are... different for a bit. This, btw, also applies to check airman who spend too much time in the sim and not enough in the real plane. ;-)

Point is, this isn't capable of ever being JUST like real flight. Then, there are obviously intentional concessions made even by the developer, in the name of fun. I've never flown a Connie, but I have hundreds of hours flying and teaching in a J-3 Cub. Now, I LOVE the A2A J-3; it more accurately captures the "feel" of the real thing than anything else I've seen in flight sim. It brings a literal smile to my face every time I take it around the patch at a grass strip somewhere, with the doors open on a summer evening. It really brings back some great memories of a type of flying I don't get to do much anymore (if only there was an A2A Stearman!) And yet, is it really just like flying a J-3? Nope. It's far, FAR too docile on the ground. I can only assume this was done intentionally, because the average simmer would get awful discouraged after repeated ground loops... and this is first and foremost supposed to be fun. I think that was obviously the right decision.

Fun is a subjective, personal notion. Some of your customers find fun by simulating every controllable detail to the highest level of realism possible. And some find fun by applying artistic license to create the desired scene for screenshots and videos. And neither position is more "correct" than the other. It's up to each individual to find their own balance that yields maximum fun! ;-)

sixgun
Senior Airman

Post by sixgun »

Stearmandriver, Don't put flight sims in the same category as games. They are based on actual flight. Example: Years ago I was a instructor for F-111 maintenance ground operations. I would take them to the flight simulator for emergency evaluations ie, fires, system failures and the like. Upon finishing a class one evening the sim operator asked me if I would stay and fly the aircraft with him to check out some recent fixes. I gladly accepted and was told to get in the left seat. This sim was full motion and scenery. They had it tweaked to represent the real thing. Every sound, vibration and system was simulated.
As I taxied to the runway, I felt the cracks in the concrete and heard the rattle of items in the cockpit. I could feel the gear through the pedals. This was like the real deal. I took off and he helped me with the gear and flaps. We went out around 20 miles and came back to land. He asked me if I wanted to try the landing. I accepted of course. As we approached he called out to me all the way in. When we touched down he couldn't believe it . Wow he said, how did you do that ? It took me months to learn and I work here. I remember my legs were numb from the stress and pressure I had on the pedals working the rubber and brake. Microsoft flight sim I told him. I had never flown a aircraft other than this flight sim before.

I learned from flight sims that if the pilot of a real plane became incapacitated that I would have a chance to live instead of not having a clue what to do and scream to my inevitable death.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”