Inertia wheel speed gauge

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
maddz
Senior Airman

Inertia wheel speed gauge

Post by maddz »

Ref this topic : http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 34&t=58936

I made a short video of the current state of the gauge.

The gauge artwork is terrible,but all the logic is coming together

It now shows:

Inertia wheel speed rpm
Selected engine
"Start" alert flashes when max rpm is gained :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1g72pN8uw0

maddz
Senior Airman

Re: Inertia wheel speed gauge

Post by maddz »

Update :

Battery on / power to gauge light (required for gauge to be powered)
GPU on light
Better selected engine lights
Spark to cylinder lights / magnetos active lights ( still being worked on )

A quick dirty vid

https://youtu.be/XC7UCM7jA2k

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

maddz,

I applaud your initiative in making this gauge. Some will think "why make a gauge when you can just count" but you wanted this gauge and made it, so great stuff. What I like is you have peered beneath the surface of Accu-Sim to show some of the physics we designed into this inertia wheel, so thank you.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

I agree with Scott.

I admit I'm probably in the camp of "I'll just count to 20 and flip the switch to 'engage' " instead of using this gauge, but I enjoy tinkering and seeing other people do it too. You thought of a feature you wanted, and applied your coding knowledge (and maybe learned along the way) to make it happen. Well done!

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

Scott - A2A wrote:maddz,

I applaud your initiative in making this gauge. Some will think "why make a gauge when you can just count" but you wanted this gauge and made it, so great stuff. What I like is you have peered beneath the surface of Accu-Sim to show some of the physics we designed into this inertia wheel, so thank you.

Scott.
Thanks Scott,

Indeed i wanted something visual to see when to engage the wheel :)

I have to say the Accu-Sim physics are awesome! If it wasn't for the physics of the inertia wheel i dont think this could have been done,...the variable doesn't excist in FSX alone (or, i couldnt find it) :mrgreen:

Stearmandriver wrote:I agree with Scott.

I admit I'm probably in the camp of "I'll just count to 20 and flip the switch to 'engage' " instead of using this gauge, but I enjoy tinkering and seeing other people do it too. You thought of a feature you wanted, and applied your coding knowledge (and maybe learned along the way) to make it happen. Well done!
Thanks Stearmandriver

Before i attempted to do this my coding knowledge was 0, never coded anything other than a web site once.
I scoured the web for an excisting gauge but there was none. I ended up with a rad alt gauge, witch was coded in XML. Reading the XML file i thought it was fairly easy to read and thought it could easily be done by finding a variable, and to my suprise the was one. I told the gauge to read that variable...and,...it didn't work - ha! :mrgreen:
so i had to get reading about this stuff and google was my bezzy mate, spewing out all the info i needed, - i just had to read it all,...all weekend! I went to work monday with a broken mind lol.

It payed off though and i now have a working gauge. The learning curve was fairly big but i found it to be that the more i learn, and see what is possible, the more idea's i get...

Im still not happy with how the gauge looks, and have got this far useing microsoft paint, as i dont have anything else.

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

Hah, i can relate to that from my own forays into web design and scripting.

That's impressive that you had no coding background when you started this. Pretty cool leaning project!

As far as graphics work goes, if you've hit the limits of MS Paint and are looking for a really capable free alternative, check out GIMP if you haven't already. Really good free, open-source image editor that gets better all the time... at this point I'd say it equals most of Photoshop's capabilities. Layers, masking, blending etc. Good stuff!

https://www.gimp.org/

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”