Connie tune up

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Connie tune up

Post by Paughco »

Well, more than a tune-up. I flew the Connie twice today. First flight was from Holman Field in St. Paul MN (KSTP) to Oshkosh (KOSH). The landing wasn't one of my best, but I think it was better than the recent "arrivals" I've experienced in Southwest and Alaska 737s IRL. I checked the airplane over after the flight, and I noticed that the engines were showing signs of stress. Uh-oh. I had simply firewalled the throttles during takeoff, and just as we were rotating the FE said that the engines were running above maximum MP. Sure enough! I quickly pulled 'em back a bit and climbed outta there. Too late, The damage was done. I selected "complete overhaul" on all four of 'em. I then proceeded to search the A2A L049 sub-forum for "stress," and saw where Scott said it wasn't that big a deal, and they'd probably keep on running just fine for a while. I DO NOT want to have anything bad happen in the middle of a flight, so I just overhauled the suckers. I don't care what it does to my career; it can't be as bad as the fiasco I'll face when one of those R3350s decides to see if it can burn it's way through the wing!

Then I noticed the update, and downloaded it, unzipped it, and double-clicked on the executable. Nada. I restarted my computer, and still, "negative function." Oh yeah. I clicked right on the executable, and selected "properties," then clicked on the little box shown in the picture below:

Suck-cess!!

Second flight was from Oshkosh to O'Hare in Chicago, just to see how she was running with the overhauled engines and the new upgrade. Everything went fine. The landing was a bit better this time, and I didn't have to cringe as I clicked Shift+9 at the end.

Oh yeah. The "dive brakes" still work. I'll keep usin' 'em for descents long as A2A leaves them on the airplane. I ain't proud. It was a good flight. Nobody died.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”