Offbeat challenging airports for L-049

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Offbeat challenging airports for L-049

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey all,

I thought it would be interesting to start a forum of challenging airports we've flown into or want to try in the L-049, other than the more widely known challenging airports (Princess Juliana, St Baarts, Kai Tak, etc.)

So to start I would have to say Resolute Bay Airport in Nunavut, Canada. It has a 6,500' gravel runway, is used for stop overs for jet aircraft on long distance flights, and is above the Arctic Circle so it hosts some extreme weather. The airport does have ILS approach due to common ground fog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute_Bay_Airport
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Re: Offbeat challenging airports for L-049

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

Hi,

Good idea! I've flown into Resolute Bay in a HS-748, replicating a flight I saw on a DVD, but I haven't brought the Connie in there yet although I must give it a go, preferably in bad weather!

Probably one of the most challenging airports (no, airfields!) I have flown the Connie into is Coonagh Airfield, about 7 miles east of Shannon in the west of Ireland, which, as you probably know, was a regular refuelling point for transatlantic Connie flights and where I saw my very first Connie in the late 50s. Having earned my real world flying licence at Coonagh many years ago, I can't resist trying to get various aircraft in there in FSX. The problem is that, although it is a hard strip, it is only 1,000 feet long, so it presents quite a challenge for larger aircraft! However, believe it or not, it is feasible in a very lightly laden Connie, so next time you land at Shannon after a transatlantic crossing don't bother refuelling, offload the passengers, deactivate career mode (in case you don't make it!) and follow the River Shannon east to Coonagh.

I don't think Coonagh is an FSX default field but there is very good freeware available for it at Avsim by George Keogh (who has produced a lot of great Irish freeware scenery) and for anyone who happens to have Orbx FTX Ireland, it also includes a very good version of this airfield.

Bill

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”