Strainge Fuel Management by FE

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
triflyman
Senior Airman

Strainge Fuel Management by FE

Post by triflyman »

On my last 11h 24min flight I noticed that once the FE gets the #1 & #4 tanks burned down to equal with #2 & #3, he did move all 4 levers to on but also put #1 & #4 tanks in Cross Feed with the #1 & #4 fuel booster pumps on. He left it this way all the way to the destination (don't know if he changed anything once on approach as I didn't look). Curious why it was done this way...anybody have an insight. Didn't find anything in the manual about this.

Thanks,

minibikerider
Airman

Re: Strainge Fuel Management by FE

Post by minibikerider »

He did that to feed the 2 and 3 tanks from the 1 and 4 tanks. that way you're still burning the outer tanks more than the inner tanks.
ImageImage
ImageImage

triflyman
Senior Airman

Re: Strainge Fuel Management by FE

Post by triflyman »

minibikerider wrote:He did that to feed the 2 and 3 tanks from the 1 and 4 tanks. that way you're still burning the outer tanks more than the inner tanks.
If I understand the manual correctly this would not be true since the crossfeed levers for #2 and #3 are closed (they would need to be open to get any fuel to or from them). Appears he is only feeding between #1 and #4...even though they are equal the whole way. I even checked the C69 manual and it says nothing about this sort or procedure...in fact it says once the tanks are equalized to run each engine on it's own tank. Just don't see what the purpose could be for what I saw.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”