Historic Flights

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Puk
Senior Airman

Historic Flights

Post by Puk »

Since my purchase of the Lockheed Constellation (L-049), better know as the "Connie", from A2ASimulations, I've become more and more interested in early aviation history. Some interesting articles and some beautiful old footage made me decide to try to find out some more about those early routes.

In my search I stumbled on this site http://www.timetableimages.com which contains a load of old timetables. These became the starting point of the formation of the historic tours I describe below.

So, if you're interested, pick up a classic aircraft and fly as they once did, VOR to VOR.

My first pick is from a timetable from SABENA Belgian airlines. Here's some reading matter: http://sabena.alpe.be/SabenaHistory.html

The route in PLAN G:

Hope you'll enjoy this trip and if you have another suggestions, please let me (us) know.

Puk
ImageImage

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Re: Historic Flights

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

That's a great site containing a potential wealth of information which is very useful for planning historical flights using the Connie. I found that website about a month ago and put the link on this forum at that stage as I thought it was a very good resource. Since then I have followed a number of routes from BOAC and Pan Am timetables of the era trying to adhere as far as possible to the arrival/departure times, including 3 transatlantic flights, two via Shannon/Gander and one via Santa Maria/Bermuda using the weatherships for navigation over the ocean and VORs when closer to the coast.

Bill

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Cheers Puk! That website is great! Lots of UK and European regional routes too.

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Sampa
Airman Basic

Post by Sampa »

I've been using the Panair do Brasil timetables from that site for my Connie flights, until now mostly on the northbound routes. I've completed the Buenos Aires - Lisbon, Saturday #262 run pretty much on time, and I find it a great way to use the Connie.

The one thing that does bug me a little is flying into modern scenery with a classic aircraft. Landing behind a B737/A319 at Santos Dumont is quite strange, especially with the shiny new glass terminal. With FS9 I had two installations, one modern and the other for the classic era, but I've yet to see a way to do that with FSX.

That would be the icing on the cake :D
“In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” ― Terry Pratchett

pepe_pompero
Airman

Post by pepe_pompero »

Many thanks, exactly what i need to fly with my signature

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

Great stuff, isn't it? Hope you'll feel a lot better, returning from Lourdes :wink:

I'll collect some more of these ones.

Puk
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to see so many flying like this, so much awesome history 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”