So, a L-049? Any chance of a super-G?

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
BraselC5048
Airman First Class

So, a L-049? Any chance of a super-G?

Post by BraselC5048 »

Surprised and delighted to find you've made a connie. Thing is, I question the choice of the L-049 model. Just 4 fuel tanks, and relatively short range. Personally, I'm quite partial to the 9 tank management of the L-1049G. While I presume the answer is no, are there any plans to make more constellation variants? Much of the work is already done.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: So, a L-049? Any chance of a super-G?

Post by CAPFlyer »

Unfortunately, none of the work is already done. Even the L-649/749 had massive changes from the L-049/C-69. In addition, when you get to the L-1049 model, you have a completely different engine with vastly different operating parameters and procedures. This is much of why no other variants are planned. The reason for the L-049 was simple - it's the first of a new breed of airliners - sleek, fast, and pressurized. It was the start of a family that changed aviation and so it deserved to be represented. It's also a version that's been woefully underrepresented in FS over the years. The only L-049 model I'm even aware of is the FSDzigns one for FS9. There weren't any for earlier versions and until the A2A one, there hadn't been one native for FSX.

BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Post by BraselC5048 »

Lovely. :roll: Now that you say that, I don't blame you, but now there's never going to be any accusim late model connies. Darn, I was hoping you'd make one someday. Also, there's been a L-049 connie with the best system simulation other than accusim (complete engine management, other than turbochargers) on calclassics for years now. (Calclassics is dedicated to maximum realism propliner operations.) I don't think either you or them are aware of each others' existence. Really too bad, since they comprise a modest but very dedicated market for a product such as this. I guess I'll go back to Jahn's L-1049, except the virtual cockpit is rather dated (entirely 2d gauges), and the flight engineer's panel is entirely 2d panel operation, there isn't even a halfway decent representation in the 3d cockpit at all, let alone a functional one.

Really, I'm not sure most of them are even aware the b377 you made even exists. (They're also mostly fs2004 centric, and don't really like FSX much.)

BraselC5048
Airman First Class

Post by BraselC5048 »

http://www.calclassic.com/connie.htm
Here's the L-049 nobody here seems to have known about. Model is converted from a L-749, (by Jahn), not a FSDesigns product. Honestly, they've pretty much spent the last decade trying to create something along the lines of accusim with full systems and under-induced engine failures. The inherent limitations of freeware means that they haven't gotten up to your level. (Frankly, they did a better job on the connie's anti ice and (arguably) electrical system than on the b377 you guys made.)

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

BraselC5048 wrote:Lovely. :roll: Now that you say that, I don't blame you, but now there's never going to be any accusim late model connies. Darn, I was hoping you'd make one someday.
I'm sure you are not alone in that, with most of us Connie fanatics hoping to see an A2A 1049. I guess if sales of the 049 exceeded all expectations, then A2A might just think again about developing another variant, so we all need to promote the Connie as a one of the greatest addon aircraft available at every opportunity we can find. This is particularly important as I suspect that the numbers of simmers who will consider an old piston liner is relatively limited, with most gravitating towards the modern 'computerliners'.

Until then we have to make do with Manfred Jahn's great 1049s - now if only they could received the same updated treatment as version 3 of his wonderful C-47........

Bill

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

CAPFlyer wrote:[...] It's also a version that's been woefully underrepresented in FS over the years. The only L-049 model I'm even aware of is the FSDzigns one for FS9. There weren't any for earlier versions and until the A2A one, there hadn't been one native for FSX.
Well - there's the Just Flight "Constellation Professional" too, which is a L-049A/C-69. In fact this one's probably the most widely distributed Connie of them all, being one of the default aircraft in P3D. :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I tend to ignore that one because of its many inaccuracies, not the least of which is that they shaped it using an L-749, which believe it or not, has some pretty significant changes once you start looking closely. While Lockheed used the development of the L-649/L-749 to introduce a bunch of upgrades to the L-049, including new landing gear that greatly increased the Maximum Weights for the plane, there were differences in the shape of the tail, control surfaces, and cockpit that made it impossible to upgrade the L-049 beyond the L-049A configuration. This is why most of the L-049s were out of front-line service by the early 1950's.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

BraselC5048 wrote:http://www.calclassic.com/connie.htm
Here's the L-049 nobody here seems to have known about. Model is converted from a L-749, (by Jahn), not a FSDesigns product. Honestly, they've pretty much spent the last decade trying to create something along the lines of accusim with full systems and under-induced engine failures. The inherent limitations of freeware means that they haven't gotten up to your level. (Frankly, they did a better job on the connie's anti ice and (arguably) electrical system than on the b377 you guys made.)
I'm aware of Manfred's L-749 and "pseudo L-049", but as even Manfred admits, it's not a true L-049 because of the differences between the airframes and cockpits. There was a project in progress at one time to make a true FSX-native L-049 model, but it kinda disappeared into the ether several years ago, as have many projects in recent years. It's not that I discount his efforts, but the different between the other "L-049s" out there and the A2A and FSDzigns aircraft is that they are true, ground up L-049s inside and out with all the proper shapes and controls.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”