Flight Save / Load disruptions

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
colb617
Airman

Flight Save / Load disruptions

Post by colb617 »

I have noticed varying degrees of difficulty in resuming a saved flight in a lot of third party aircraft but this is especially annoying with the Constellation because of the need to fly as smoothly as possible to gain approval from passengers and the airline. I have to remember to turn the cabin heat on after stabilizing the aircraft with no hydraulics yet (so using trim) . re engage the autopilot.
Switch the live engineer to handle pressurization. turn on windshield heater. On one occasion I ended up plummeting to the ground with terrifying screams from the passengers. I hate to think what that did for my career, I expected the sack. I will be interested to hear if anyone smarter than me has got over this hiccup.

kakarot133
Airman

Re: Flight Save / Load disruptions

Post by kakarot133 »

Here's how I've been able to do it:

Make sure the FSX autopilot is engaged and has you flying where you want to be, then turn everything over to the FE. Make sure that "Auto C&D" isn't checked and pause the sim, save flight, etc. When you load, unpause and be ready to turn your mixtures on because they will default to "cut off" position. Autopilot should keep you going straight with minor corrections here and there until you can get yourself set back up again. The only switches I remember having to set are the no smoking / seatbelts, and emergency hydraulic pressure for the brakes. The FE should reset everything back to normal if you left him on, and you can then take over from him if you wish. Betty might also complain about the temperature, since most of the time I've noticed the cabin will load with the same temp as the outside you're flying in..

kakarot133
Airman

Post by kakarot133 »

Oh, I also want to add, I like to back up my logs and configuration files in the A2A folder as well, because I have encountered a bug when I load the aircraft, sometimes it will "reset" the payload manager and all your fuel will be 100% again. If you back it up you can then reload and recopy everything and try again.

colb617
Airman

Post by colb617 »

Thankyou so much for your tips I will give that a try next time

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Guys,

Just to throw out a few questions. How are you guys saving and then exiting the flight and or FSX.
Then when reloading the flight how are you coming back in. Is it straight from the Free Flight Menu and hitting Fly Now?
Are you loading a different/non-Connie flight and then trying to reload the flight once in-sim?

The reason for asking is that you shouldn't have to do pretty much any of the things you are running into when reloading an in-flight save.

Just to make sure I wasn't nuts :wink:, I just ran a series of in-flight save reloads using both the default FSX auto-pilot and the Sperry.

1. Both auto-pilot systems reload as saved, FSX default and Sperry. No need to re-engage or turn on either.
2. Cabin Temp is saved.
3. Mixture Levers are saved.
4. FE still on same duties as he was when saved.
5. Cabin Heater Switch reloads as saved.
6. Windshield Heat reloads as saved.
7. Auto C&D can be either ON or OFF. This setting is used to start a new flight/non-saved flight, and should have no effect on an in-flight save reload. I always leave Auto C&D On.
8. Fuel & Pax Reload as saved.

Hydraulic Pressure is just "reinitializing" it comes back up to full pressure within moments. The only Hyd System you should have to recharge manually is the Emergency Brake Pressure.
The pressure in the main system comes back up so quickly, it shouldn't create an emergency moment.

It is normal for the Seat Belt and No Smoking switches to default to OFF.
FAC257

kakarot133
Airman

Post by kakarot133 »

I usually load my flight from the "Free Flight" menu by choosing "Load...". Should I load into a default flight first perhaps?

colb617
Airman

Post by colb617 »

Hi
I just pause the sim and hit ; to bring up the save flight window, save the flight and exit.
When returning I start up FSX which appears in the free flight window with the Trike at Friday Harbor, I hit the Load tab choose my flight and hit Fly now.
I hope this is one of those simple things that's so simple we're missing it, if not is there something in the operating system that's blocking.

Thanks for your reply

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

It doesn't sound like either of you are doing anything unusual with the saves & reloads.

There really isn't a need to load a default flight first, but it also doesn't hurt to try that, to see if it helps.
I've got 7000 flight hours in our Accusim fleet and I've never loaded a default flight first. I actually can't as I have no default aircraft in the menu.

You may have already tried this, but why not try a basic no frills FSX flight and see what happens:
-Create a Connie flight straight from the Free Flight menu and then go fly.
-For starters, the most I would crank up in addition to FSX, would be one of the real weather programs. Leave out any extras like outside cameras, third party GPS, etc.
-If you have it installed, I would even recommend killing FSUIPC just for the test.
-Once in the aircraft, don't change paint schemes. Pick the one you want to fly with in the Free Flight menu. Changing paint schemes isn't normally an issue, but if you do it enough times within the
same flight, it can start creating issues in FSX. The number of in-sim changes you make before it starts causing issues varies, so I just wouldn't do it at all for the test.
-Go fly, save the flight, exit FSX, and then reload that saved flight straight from the FFGUI. <<<< Sounds like both of you aren't doing anything odd here.

This is about as generic a flight as you can get.

In addition don't do anything else on the computer other than fly during the test. This is one that I'm guilty of and eventual can cause issues in FSX, flying, trying to edit screenshots, and having a web browser running in the background all at the same time. :)

BTW, which version are you guys using FSX, FSX-SE, or P3D?

Thanks again!
FAC257

colb617
Airman

Post by colb617 »

I have just tried starting a standard FSX flight and then loading my A2A Connie flight and it's better. the autopilot didn't re-engage but I had immediate control so nice and smooth. I did have to turn on the air con and the live engineer, the mixture had gone to rich but a vast improvement on what I had.
Don't get me wrong I don't think this is necessarily an A2A problem it may lie within FSX.
I'm running FSX with Acceleration by the way.

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

FAC257 wrote:Guys,

Just to throw out a few questions. How are you guys saving and then exiting the flight and or FSX.
Then when reloading the flight how are you coming back in. Is it straight from the Free Flight Menu and hitting Fly Now?
Are you loading a different/non-Connie flight and then trying to reload the flight once in-sim?

The reason for asking is that you shouldn't have to do pretty much any of the things you are running into when reloading an in-flight save.

Just to make sure I wasn't nuts :wink:, I just ran a series of in-flight save reloads using both the default FSX auto-pilot and the Sperry.

1. Both auto-pilot systems reload as saved, FSX default and Sperry. No need to re-engage or turn on either.
2. Cabin Temp is saved.
3. Mixture Levers are saved.
4. FE still on same duties as he was when saved.
5. Cabin Heater Switch reloads as saved.
6. Windshield Heat reloads as saved.
7. Auto C&D can be either ON or OFF. This setting is used to start a new flight/non-saved flight, and should have no effect on an in-flight save reload. I always leave Auto C&D On.
8. Fuel & Pax Reload as saved.

Hydraulic Pressure is just "reinitializing" it comes back up to full pressure within moments. The only Hyd System you should have to recharge manually is the Emergency Brake Pressure.
The pressure in the main system comes back up so quickly, it shouldn't create an emergency moment.

It is normal for the Seat Belt and No Smoking switches to default to OFF.
Hi,

3. For me the Mixture Levers are not saved in flight. They are always Off. I load the flight from the "Free Flight" menu by choosing "Load".
(Fsx Acc)

Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

I'm doing saves and re-loads per this discussion but I always get the mixture in idle cut-off and the fuel valves closed. I then have to quickly hit "auto-start" and they will come on but not before Betty is hollering and the engines are coughing bad. I see some are saying they get mixtures where they were before (cruise lean)...any ideas how to make this happen plus have the fuel valves on at the re-load?

Thanks for any suggestions.

colb617
Airman

Post by colb617 »

I always get auto rich after a save . While it's still paused I look around the cockpit and their at cut off . I have to be ready to hold the controls as I unpause so as to minimise the jolts climbs and dives as all the systems get going . Some times seem better than others.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”