Jailed!

The "Queen of the Skies"
Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Jailed!

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

While flying from La Guardia to Gander, I had a sick passenger warning over Connecticut and decided to divert to Providence, Rhode Island which was pretty well straight ahead of me. Almost at the same time, the hydraulic system failed and I regained some control after switching off the autopilot and turning off the control boosters. Although I descended faster than normal, I didn't do an emergency descent, as the passenger was just 'sick' which didn't sound too serious! However, because of the very poorly responsive controls landing at KPVD took me two attempts as I found myself to one side of the runway on my first attempt after turning onto finals too close to the airport, trying to save time, and I had to go around. On the second attempt I turned final a long way out to give myself time to line up on the runway properly using the sluggish controls and managed to land on the runway albeit a bit hard (not appreciated by those in the cabin!).

Having dealt with this double emergency satisfactorily as I thought (Sully type accolades in my head!), can you imagine my surprise when I read the Captain's Log after the flight and found that I had been jailed for negligence for not getting the Connie on the ground fast enough with a sick passenger on board! Adding insult to injury the Captain's Log instructed me to click reset it so that I have to start career mode all over again! Alas there is nowhere to appeal this decision :wink:, so next time I get a sick passenger notification, there will be nothing for it but an eardrum busting emergency descent!

Bill

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Re: Jailed!

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Wow! Thanks for letting us know. Never knew this was a possibility.

crashxpert
Airman

Post by crashxpert »

LOL. Never would have guessed that could happen. Ill keep that in the back of my mind from now on.

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

crashxpert wrote:LOL. Never would have guessed that could happen. Ill keep that in the back of my mind from now on.
Lufthansa 380 wrote:Wow! Thanks for letting us know. Never knew this was a possibility.
Neither did I! I guess I should have made an emergency descent into the nearest suitable airfield as I was flying over land but I hope there is some leeway built into the system if a sick passenger warning occurs over the ocean!

Bill

metaldesk44
Airman

Post by metaldesk44 »

Stratocruiser2 wrote:
crashxpert wrote:LOL. Never would have guessed that could happen. Ill keep that in the back of my mind from now on.
Lufthansa 380 wrote:Wow! Thanks for letting us know. Never knew this was a possibility.
Neither did I! I guess I should have made an emergency descent into the nearest suitable airfield as I was flying over land but I hope there is some leeway built into the system if a sick passenger warning occurs over the ocean!

Bill

I have avoided a planned trip to Hawaii for this very reason, don't want to be half way and have an emergency. I think the loading screen should show the sick passenger in red so Betty can kick them out. :twisted: But seriously, what would you do? you would have no choice but to continue if over half way right?

Image Image

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I think it depends on the situation and how badly sick they are. I don't know for sure, but I think there's some mechanism that is able to tell if you're overwater and unable to divert, but Scott would have to confirm because I know that on the B377 it didn't jail you if you were overwater and had something like that happen. I had a pressurization problem and an engine partial failure on my first SFO-HNL flight and didn't get penalized for continuing to HNL after descending to an appropriate altitude to deal with the cabin pressurization issue.

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

CAPFlyer wrote:I think it depends on the situation and how badly sick they are. I don't know for sure, but I think there's some mechanism that is able to tell if you're overwater and unable to divert, but Scott would have to confirm because I know that on the B377 it didn't jail you if you were overwater and had something like that happen. I had a pressurization problem and an engine partial failure on my first SFO-HNL flight and didn't get penalized for continuing to HNL after descending to an appropriate altitude to deal with the cabin pressurization issue.
I'm not sure if you have had a sick passenger warning on the Connie yet, but basically it just says 'sick' and doesn't give any indication of the severity! If there ever are any updates planned for the Connie (not that it actually needs any as far as I can see!) then perhaps the 'sick' warning could be colour coded to indicate the severity. Until then I will treat all future 'sick' warnings as meaning 'on death's door' and do an immediate emergency descent into the nearest airfield :wink:!

Still, its all good fun!

Bill

kakarot133
Airman

Post by kakarot133 »

I attempted a flight from Tokyo to Honolulu just recently, and got a sick passenger and diverted to Midway as the closest airfield. Of course by the time I landed it was "too long". I then got another sick passenger from Midway to Honolulu, but since Honolulu was the closest, I continued to the destination and landed, got a message saying I "managed to land the plane safely". So this sick guy gets back on the plane?..

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

kakarot133 wrote:I attempted a flight from Tokyo to Honolulu just recently, and got a sick passenger and diverted to Midway as the closest airfield. Of course by the time I landed it was "too long". I then got another sick passenger from Midway to Honolulu, but since Honolulu was the closest, I continued to the destination and landed, got a message saying I "managed to land the plane safely". So this sick guy gets back on the plane?..
I'm guessing they both had the fish?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEAXOCmgE74[/youtube]
Joe

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Joe, the fish will do it every time!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :lol: :lol:

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

Well my appeal must have been successful as I got out of jail and got my job back with Pan Am! I reset my Captain's Log (no option!) in Providence and completed my interrupted flight to Gander and followed that up with an overnight leg from Gander to Shannon arriving just after dawn, both flights being without any incidents. Checked my Captain's Log in Gander (after round of applause on landing) and, as expected, the new one was good and reflected the hours/mileage flown since I had reset it. However when I rechecked it after arrival in Shannon, it seemed to have reverted to the one I read in Providence so now I am in jail again, but this time in Ireland!! Much as though I like Shannon (it was my home airport as a kid during the latter half of the great Transatlantic piston era), I would prefer not to sample the local jail there even in FSX! If this carries on I am going to become the goto A2A expert on jails of the world :wink:!

The thing is that I did NOT get any sick passenger notification (or have any other problems) on either of these flights, so I wonder if this maybe some sort of glitch in the COTS system that allowed the old log to reappear two flights later even though it had been reset in Providence and gave the correct mileage / hours readings in Gander? I wondered if anyone else has noticed any similar issues with their Captain's Log's reverting to a previous setting?

Bill (languishing in jail)

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

LOL - some useful tips there for my next appeal!!

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

:D That was great, he was always a funny man :D

Keep smiling
Tug :)

hauntersea1
Airman

Post by hauntersea1 »

Was jailed myself today due to 4 engine failure and most likely bad piloting.

****Edit****

I checked the log before resetting the career and it said "Jailed for Reckless flying" Today's flight went better.
Last edited by hauntersea1 on 03 Feb 2017, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”