First Run At 16 Hour Endurance Flight

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

First Run At 16 Hour Endurance Flight

Post by FAC257 »

I've pretty sure all along I could get a 16 hour flight out the new aircraft. Cranking out 14-15 hour flights have been pretty much no-brainers.

Took off yesterday afternoon from Manapouri, New Zealand heading for Bali. Full Fuel + 44 Passengers.
AS16 set to default Realism Mode & Turb Scale at 20%. Although there was a head wind for much of the flight, the weather was great for smooth flying.

With this being an energy management flight, it took over 4.5 hours to reach cruse altitude at 25K. This screenshot just was after settling in at cruise altitude. Things were already looking good with the combined total of the "Flt Time" + "Endurance" already showing over 16 hours. After testing a few adjustments to see where there was the most gain on the Navigator's Notes, we settled in at 27"MP & 1600RPM for the long haul.

Didn't quite make Bali, since I was getting nervous on fuel. The Navigator's Notes were showing we could have made it, but after this long in the air, I didn't want to blow a great flight.
Settled for WADA just across the water from Bali.

Touched down with all four still running and fuel in the bank. :)

Flight flown non-stop in real time.
FAC257

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Re: First Run At 16 Hour Endurance Flight

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Now that's the definition of last drop! I have yet to try some long hauls with the Connie.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

That's quite the haul :shock: glad to see you got her there in good shape.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I have a question for you gentleman that make these long flights. Do you actually sit there at the controls the whole time ?

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

On long hauls I use the AFK feature to watch over the aircraft. It's set to "Emergency" & 1000' less than current cruise altitude.
I also keep the sound up high enough so that I can hear anything that is going on, if I'm not in the room. I can see the monitor from almost every room in my home anyway.

Definitely hands-on during climb to cruise alt, & throughout the decent.

On this particular flight, since I was trying to squeak out every once of energy per gallon, I spent more time periodically checking engine settings. I wanted exactly 27" on each engine, not 27.1" or 26.9". MP creep was the most tedious task. Later on in the flight, I also spent a little more time than normal fine tuning the fuel levels in each tank. On a regular 10-15hr flight, I would leave that to the FE.

When planning on one of this length, I also try to time the take-off & landing times, for when I would normally be awake. Took off yesterday afternoon, flew through the night, and she was ready to start the decent shortly after breakfast this AM. Just made sure that everything was exactly like I wanted it before I fell asleep last night.
FAC257

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

I had forgotten about the AFK feature - sounds like that may be a better option than using accelerated mode.

Bill

Cool
Airman First Class

Post by Cool »

Very impressive and interesting :D

keep in mind the long Haul cruize setting: 27"MP & 1600RPM

I have to do one long haul as well :mrgreen:
Thanks FAC257 :wink:

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant