VC autopilot option.

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

VC autopilot option.

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

I know this is sort of an odd question but would it be possible to include a 3D model for the default fsx AP in the Virtual Cockpit of the Connie? Same place where the 3rd party GPS unit would be (above the glareshield). I am not asking for advanced gps functions, only standard alt hold, heading ad vs stuff you'll find in a C172. This would make flying the Connie on VATSIM or similar networks a bit easier.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: VC autopilot option.

Post by CAPFlyer »

Sadly, no. The issue is that the model is already pushing the limits of what's acceptable in FSX/P3D so additional polys would push it over the limit.

Please understand that even though some polys are "removed" when changing options, you're actually only hiding them. They're still loaded into memory as part of the model even when they're not visible. This is what allows for the "hot switching" between options. Otherwise, you'd require a completely separate model for each variation on the cockpit and require you to reload each time you wanted to change the configuration.

ApacheHunter
Airman

Post by ApacheHunter »

I found it very rewarding to learn to fly her without GPS, using radio navigation and even older methods. You won't be bored for a second!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H815 met Tapatalk

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

Sure, flying her old school is certainly perfectly possible and a challenge but I find the autopilot to be mostly useless for precision flying. I find myself rather handflying and only using the pitch hold mode along with the trim, which again works perfectly fine. My only concern would be longer flights where you can't actually sit at your computer and make small corrections every couple minutes. I mean changes in wind or turbulence can all affect your flightpath.

Also - I am aware of the polygon count and how those on-the-fly options work but I wasn't aware that the VC model already pushes the limits? The performance is excellent.

goughie
Airman First Class

Post by goughie »

Hi , can I assume you are aware that you can fly a 'direct to' course with the existing nav options?

Cool
Airman First Class

Post by Cool »

Lufthansa 380 wrote:...I am not asking for advanced gps functions, only standard alt hold, heading ad vs stuff you'll find in a C172. This would make flying the Connie on VATSIM or similar networks a bit easier.
I use Saitek Multi Panel and it works like a charme with the Connie just like a C172 :wink:

Lufthansa 380
Staff Sergeant

Post by Lufthansa 380 »

goughie wrote:Hi , can I assume you are aware that you can fly a 'direct to' course with the existing nav options?
Yes I am aware. Was only talking about some hands off flying - hence the newer AP option.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I use the sperry autopilot all the time and once one learns it, it works perfectly fine and is much more realistic than the FS AP.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”