Just Purchased First Couple of Flights

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Nigelhj
Airman

Just Purchased First Couple of Flights

Post by Nigelhj »

What can I say? Purchased today and climbed aboard, having read the manual decided to start engines myself, oh dear...took a couple of times before eng 4 decided to stop being disobedient and started. After all engines running decided that I would employ the flight engineer which made my task much easier.

What a fantastic aircraft this is, my 2 flights were only training ones and still need to improve before I set out on a career mode as one passenger had written "My head hurts after that flight" or words to that effect :oops:

One question I have and that relates to the ADFs', tried tuning into Nottingham ADF as I was at East Midlands on freq. 430 but could not get a signal after becoming airborne, I know that tuning can be done through a pop up menu however I like to be able to tune radios VORs' and ADFs' in cockpit. So far being able to tune into Nottingham ADF as well as others is proving to be a stumbling block.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any reference in concerning this in the manual. Is it that you have to tune whilst airborne and adjust the frequency until obtaining the strongest signal? Equally is the ADF Heading also on the Omni Directional Finder? Any help or advice welcomed.

Finally, many thanks to A2A for such a wonderful aircraft.

Regards
Nigel.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Just Purchased First Couple of Flights

Post by Jacques »

Hi Nigel,
In the center overhead is the ADF radio, select ADF1, use your mouse wheel to set the 400 range, then use the mouse wheel to turn the tuning handle to 430 (should show up in tooltips popup as you tune). make sure on the lower part of that panel the "ADF" is selected (ADF/ FUNCTION).

On the upper main panel, Pilots side, are two RMI switches. Make sure number 1 is set to "LF".

To you left side, the lower audio panel, right side, select ADF 1, which should give you an identifier after a short pause if you've tunes the ADF correctly and you are in range (37 nm?)

Your VOR's are to be found in the center console, right side (by the co-pilot, just below your COM tuners.

You should be able to tune to an ADF and a VOR simultaneously.

Caution, I don't actually have the Connie, this is just what I'm finding in the manual!

Nigelhj
Airman

Post by Nigelhj »

Hi Jacques, many thanks for your help. For some reason I must have missed that in the manual.

ADF range is usually 27-28 miles if memory serves me correct.

Will give it another go tomorrow.

Again, many thanks.

Regards
Nigel.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, now worries! FSX has somewhat different settings for distance compared to real life, but I can't remember what NOT is in FSX! Also, it isn't stated as such in the manual, I just looked for the relevant details in the panel description! Hope it goes alright tomorrow.

Nigelhj
Airman

Post by Nigelhj »

Hi Jacques, just to let you know did a flight from East Midlands to Newcastle using the Nottingham ADF for departure then straight on to the Newcastle VOR and everything was perfect with the flight.

No complaints from the passengers, now that's a first for me!! :lol:

One aspect to the programming of this aircraft that I find extremely satisfying is that the needles of the engine gauges on the engineers panel actually fluctuate when the engines are running something that I don't find in other prop aircraft that I have.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Regards
Nigel.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Happy to be of help, Nigel. As I mentioned, I don't yet have the Constellation but I do have the 377. It is really satisfying and immersive to see individual needles twitch a bit during a flight..."do I have an issue developing? Hmm, betterwatch that one a bit more closely."

The engines sound on the 377 (and I assume the Constellation) are a thing of beauty. For me its like a meditative drone to listen to while reading on those long flights! A2A creates some really great experiences!

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”