Burbank to Bromma - My Connie Adventure

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
blillpers
Senior Airman

Burbank to Bromma - My Connie Adventure

Post by blillpers »

I thought I'd share my Connie adventure so far with you all. I really enjoy the crew and the role play feeling it gives. The context to my flight is the following: The year is 1947 and Scandinavian Airlines is in need of new aircraft with better range and performance. In the end, the Constellation won the day and me and my crew have recieved the task to deliver the first new plane from the Lockheed Plant to our base at Stockholm - Bromma. This first aircraft is an ex-USAF C-69 which has recieved it's airline modifications at Lockheed in Burbank, California, but still carries the USAF livery. She'll be repainted into Scandiavian colours once in Sweden.

Once we arrived in California a few days of intense studies followed to get ourselves familiar with the plane (= reading the manual a few times over during Christmas). Once we had conducted our flight trials and were happy with the plane we set off towards or first stopover which would be Saskatoon in Canada. With us on the plane were a few technicans, airline officials and family members.

Our second leg took us onwards towards Nuuk, Greenland, but within an hour or so we were informed of a sick passenger. Thankfully we had just left the last major airport for hundreds of miles behind us, and could be on the ground again within minutes. And so, I got to see Lynn Lake, Mantioba, for the first and probably last time in my life. After a few days in hospital our passenger had recovered enough for us to continue.

The approach into Nuuk had a few hairy moments before the lights came into view. Never underestimate the weather! From here followed the Atlantic crossing. The distance was no problem, but just in case we decided to plot the route across Iceland. Other than some bumby air everything went very smoothly and we pushed on towards Scandinavia. Soon, the Norwegian coastline came into view and as the sun set we decended towards Stockholm. And so, after 17 hours in the air we landed on Bromma on a cold, snowy January's evening. Our technicans are very happy with the plane, the airline officials slightly less so after the bumby ride across the pond. Now we just wait for the new livery to be painted onto the plane and then the first real passengers will step onto the Connie. The entire trip took about 17 hours.

To A2A, thank you for this wonderful plane and all the hours of enjoyment it has given me so far! I'm sure there are many more to come! :)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”