Western Russia & Scandinavia Tour 2017

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Wildhawk
Airman

Western Russia & Scandinavia Tour 2017

Post by Wildhawk »

A2A has delivered a fantastic product once again with the Constellation, and what better way to get acquainted with it than a tour!

Inspired by many other flight simulator enthusiasts who have done the same, I considered many areas around the globe, and decided on Western Russia and Scandinavia for my first tour ever. Lots of other destinations & areas around the globe that would also be interesting, but I'll leave them for future tours (and maybe even an "around the world" tour one day when I have the balls and time for it! :) )

The tour will start soon and I will document it on this thread with information and screenshots.

It will consists of eight legs:

Leg 1: Baku, Azerbaijan to Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Leg 2: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia to Moscow, Russia
Leg 3: Moscow, Russia to St Petersburg, Russia
Leg 4: St Petersburg, Russia to Helsinki, Finland
Leg 5: Helsinki, Finland to Tallinn, Estonia
Leg 6: Tallinn, Estonia to Stockholm, Sweden
Leg 7: Stockholm, Sweden to Oslo, Norway
Leg 8: Oslo, Norway to Copenhagen, Denmark

Watch this space!

addman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Western Russia & Scandinavia Tour 2017

Post by addman »

Nice list! I have add-on airports of sublime quality from all around the world in my simulator but I still end up flying EFVA to/ -or from ESSA Arlanda and ESGG Landvetter anyway. Funny how local we people can be. I guess it's because I recognize more from the real world in those particular airports and their respective surroundings because I've been there IRL many times. But yeah, nice list, you forgot to put ESGG Landvetter on it but hey! no list is perfect, right? :mrgreen: :wink: Think I'll fly to St. Petersburg tonight....

Cheers!/Andreas
Cheers!/Andreas

Wildhawk
Airman

Post by Wildhawk »

addman wrote:Nice list! I have add-on airports of sublime quality from all around the world in my simulator but I still end up flying EFVA to/ -or from ESSA Arlanda and ESGG Landvetter anyway. Funny how local we people can be. I guess it's because I recognize more from the real world in those particular airports and their respective surroundings because I've been there IRL many times. But yeah, nice list, you forgot to put ESGG Landvetter on it but hey! no list is perfect, right? :mrgreen: :wink: Think I'll fly to St. Petersburg tonight....

Cheers!/Andreas
I hear you!

I'm the opposite - I love to fly in areas around the world where I've never been or might never see in real life. Having said that, it is also cool to fly to/from airports that are significant to yourself in real life.

Landvetter is still on the cards to get in the near future - I love collecting European airports. Maybe it would be included in a future tour :-) :P

Wildhawk
Airman

Post by Wildhawk »

And the tour has started!

The owner of the charter company is an old US Navy veteran, and has decided to apply a retro livery to the beautiful Connie, reflecting this. VIP tour tickets were sold to 20 lucky passengers, and here we in Baku, ready to start the tour with a beautifully restored Connie, with 1.7 HRS on the airframe and 0.9 HRS on all four engines.

LEG 1
Heydar Aliyev International Airport (UBBB), Baku, Azerbaijan
to
Strigino International Airport (UWGG), Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

Takeoff: RWY34, 07:25 GMT
Touchdown: RWY18R, 12:13 GMT
Total flight time: 4 hrs 48 min
Distance travelled: 979nm

Oil used: 27 gal
Fuel used: 1,730 gal

The first leg was the longest one on the whole tour, and went by without any incidents. There was some mild turbulence, especially during the last half of the flight, and the winds were not too favourable (slight headwind), but overall everything went OK and everybody was happy! Landing at Stringino was a little bit challenging, since there was a nasty crosswind on the runway, but the Connie was put down nicely!

Some screenshots:

Ready to depart

Flags of all the countries to be visited on the tour, depicted on the nose

Taxiing to the active

Lining up RWY34

Climbing out

Enroute
Last edited by Wildhawk on 23 Jan 2017, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

Wildhawk
Airman

Post by Wildhawk »

Leg 1 screenshots (continued)

Enroute

Left downwind for RWY18R at Stringino

Turning base

Safe arrival

Wildhawk
Airman

Post by Wildhawk »

LEG 2
Strigino International Airport (UWGG), Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
to
Sheremetyevo International Airport (UUEE), Moscow, Russia

Takeoff: RWY36L, 08:20 GMT
Touchdown: RWY24R, 09:42 GMT
Total flight time: 1 hr 22 min
Distance travelled: 213nm

Oil used: 6 gal
Fuel used: 533 gal

Like the first leg, some mild turbulence and headwinds were experienced. Very cloudy and cold! Apart from that, no incidents throughout the flight - the Connie performed well again.

Some screenshots:

Ready for departure

Enroute

Safe arrival

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Very nice, keep them coming!
Ros

Wildhawk
Airman

Post by Wildhawk »

While spending some time in Moscow, a quick photo shoot of the city was planned. A lot of red (pun intended!) tape had to be worked through, but in the end, permission was obtained.

The company's faithful T-6 Texan camera ship was put to the task. On the planned day of the shoot, the weather looked like this:

The crew waited until the next day, and then did a quick flight over the city:

Back at Domodedovo Airport (UUDD), it started raining again - the photo shoot was finished just in time!

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”