Question about oil pressure v.s temperature

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Hobart Escin

Question about oil pressure v.s temperature

Post by Hobart Escin »

Hello,

Just wondering if oil viscosity is modeled in the current Connie COTS package? With all my other Accusim toys, cold starts all result in a high initial oil pressure (oil is cold and thus thick), and after a warm up period the oil pressure comes down as the oil temperature rises. Although my Connie experience is limited, I'm not seeing the same behavior with oil pressure. After a cold start in the Constellation, the oil pressure remains low even when oil temperatures are relatively low. Shouldn't the oil pressure initially be high until the engine warms a little?

Thanks!

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Re: Question about oil pressure v.s temperature

Post by MatzeH84 »

I came across the same thing.. Also wondering if it is a bug or just not simulated.
Kind regards, Matthias

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Curiously, the A2A Constellation pilot's manual states the following on pages 83-84,

"It is important that you always keep an eye on your oil pressure and engine temperature gauges. On cold engine starts, the oil is thick and until it reaches a proper operation temperature, this thick oil results in much higher than normal oil pressure. In extreme cold, once the engine is started, watch that oil pressure gauge and idle and engine as low as possible, keeping the oil pressure under 100psi"

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

I don't think I've experienced much difference in pressure with the temperature of the oil. Not as much as it does with the Texan anyway. When you dilute the oil the pressure goes down as it should.
Joe W

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Was wondering the same thing :?
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I could be wrong but that section of the manual came in from our Warbirds, which do model oil viscosity. I don't believe we have this in the COTS framework. We do have the ability to model this however since the system was developed for the Warbirds. I put this on my TO DO list to look into for the next update.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

This would be great Scott. I've noticed this issue as well. My main issue is with engine 2 front oil pressure. It reads 29psi all the time except when on ground at idle. I've tried opening oil cooler cowl to reduce temps in an attempt to gain some pressure but it had no effect on pressure.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Scott - A2A wrote:I could be wrong but that section of the manual came in from our Warbirds, which do model oil viscosity. I don't believe we have this in the COTS framework. We do have the ability to model this however since the system was developed for the Warbirds. I put this on my TO DO list to look into for the next update.

Scott.
Yes please this would be nice Scott. It really adds a feeling of "living, breathing" engine because it gives you a reason to wait for your engine to warm up.

When I saw that we had 2 different oil temps by engine, I was first excited about having to manage the oil with more precision.

Since you guys modelled oil temp dynamics, why not go all the way to model the actual impact of oil temp ?

Thanks,
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”