Trying to make up my mind.

The "Queen of the Skies"
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: Trying to make up my mind.

Post by bobsk8 »

I had an exciting morning this morning. Got it going from a cold start, and while I was getting ready to taxi to the active, I had an engine fire in #3. :shock:
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

bobsk8 wrote:I had an exciting morning this morning. Got it going from a cold start, and while I was getting ready to taxi to the active, I had an engine fire in #3. :shock:
Forgot the primer on?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Been flying the Connie for about 5 days now. Have all the procedures down pretty well, and love flying this aircraft. I let the FE handle everything, but do all the startup procedures myself. I started flying A2A aircraft about 7 months ago, because I got tired of sitting in the 737 ngx at FL350 watching the FMC and AP fly the plane, trying to stay awake. Going back to aircraft like the 172, Cherokee, etc, which I had flown in real life, got me back into flying again. The Connie steps that up to a whole new level. I find that when I fly about a 200 mile flight, I have to pay attention 99% of the time. No surfing the web, going out for coffee, taking a walk with the dog, etc.etc... Have to actually fly the aircraft and continually monitor what it is doing.Every flight is an adventure. This just makes flying this aircraft like flying in real life.... I am hooked. :D
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Well it will be almost 2 months since I started this thread, and shortly after I got the A2A Connie, and now that is all I fly. Joined a VA, that lets you do charter flights to any airport using the Connie, and I am having a blast with this aircraft. Best decision I have ever made. https://flyvtwa.net/index.php/
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

If you enjoy the Connie you might also like the 377. I have and enjoy both. Each different in their own ways.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Tug002 wrote:If you enjoy the Connie you might also like the 377. I have and enjoy both. Each different in their own ways.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
I use P3D and don't like using the migration tool, which can cause problem, so I just use aircraft designed for P3D.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

bobsk8 wrote:Been flying the Connie for about 5 days now. Have all the procedures down pretty well, and love flying this aircraft. I let the FE handle everything, but do all the startup procedures myself. I started flying A2A aircraft about 7 months ago, because I got tired of sitting in the 737 ngx at FL350 watching the FMC and AP fly the plane, trying to stay awake. Going back to aircraft like the 172, Cherokee, etc, which I had flown in real life, got me back into flying again. The Connie steps that up to a whole new level. I find that when I fly about a 200 mile flight, I have to pay attention 99% of the time. No surfing the web, going out for coffee, taking a walk with the dog, etc.etc... Have to actually fly the aircraft and continually monitor what it is doing.Every flight is an adventure. This just makes flying this aircraft like flying in real life.... I am hooked. :D
Like most people replying to this topic, I too find myself flying little else other than the Connie since I bought it about two months ago. I have loads of payware aircraft but I have never found myself in the position where a newly purchased aircraft has taken over my sim world almost completely. In the past I tended to flit from aircraft to aircraft, depending on what kind of scenario I was flying and, although I did have favourites which I flew more often than others, no one aircraft ever seem to displace all the others to the extent the Connie has done!

I think a number of factors combine to make the Connie arguably the most immersive and enjoyable aircraft that I have ever flown. That immersion comes not just from perfectly replicated systems but also the beautiful internal and external modelling and the amazing engine sounds. I also love the pop-up 2D windows and the virtual FE which are a great help to the single handed sim pilot trying to do the work which was divided between four flight crew in the real World. I wish some of the developers of modern aircraft would also include similar 2D control windows.

Like you however, I think one of the main attractions of the Connie is actually having to fly the aircraft rather than spending an hour or so programming an FMC before take off and then wondering what to do for hours until landing! Yes, I admit that programming the FMC on the PMDG 737, 747 or 777, going through all the steps to get it from cold and dark to a flyable state and then completing a flight satisfactorily gives me a lot of pleasure but for some reason it has never grabbed my complete attention in the same way as the Connie. Perhaps having started flying in the real world in the late 60s when the most sophisticated navigation aids were the VOR and ADF and my flights were planned using paper Jeppesen charts, this aircraft brings back the pleasure I experienced back then - I knew there was a reason for saving those paper Jeppesens for all those years!

Bill

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Stratocruiser2 wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:Been flying the Connie for about 5 days now. Have all the procedures down pretty well, and love flying this aircraft. I let the FE handle everything, but do all the startup procedures myself. I started flying A2A aircraft about 7 months ago, because I got tired of sitting in the 737 ngx at FL350 watching the FMC and AP fly the plane, trying to stay awake. Going back to aircraft like the 172, Cherokee, etc, which I had flown in real life, got me back into flying again. The Connie steps that up to a whole new level. I find that when I fly about a 200 mile flight, I have to pay attention 99% of the time. No surfing the web, going out for coffee, taking a walk with the dog, etc.etc... Have to actually fly the aircraft and continually monitor what it is doing.Every flight is an adventure. This just makes flying this aircraft like flying in real life.... I am hooked. :D
Like most people replying to this topic, I too find myself flying little else other than the Connie since I bought it about two months ago. I have loads of payware aircraft but I have never found myself in the position where a newly purchased aircraft has taken over my sim world almost completely. In the past I tended to flit from aircraft to aircraft, depending on what kind of scenario I was flying and, although I did have favourites which I flew more often than others, no one aircraft ever seem to displace all the others to the extent the Connie has done!

I think a number of factors combine to make the Connie arguably the most immersive and enjoyable aircraft that I have ever flown. That immersion comes not just from perfectly replicated systems but also the beautiful internal and external modelling and the amazing engine sounds. I also love the pop-up 2D windows and the virtual FE which are a great help to the single handed sim pilot trying to do the work which was divided between four flight crew in the real World. I wish some of the developers of modern aircraft would also include similar 2D control windows.

Like you however, I think one of the main attractions of the Connie is actually having to fly the aircraft rather than spending an hour or so programming an FMC before take off and then wondering what to do for hours until landing! Yes, I admit that programming the FMC on the PMDG 737, 747 or 777, going through all the steps to get it from cold and dark to a flyable state and then completing a flight satisfactorily gives me a lot of pleasure but for some reason it has never grabbed my complete attention in the same way as the Connie. Perhaps having started flying in the real world in the late 60s when the most sophisticated navigation aids were the VOR and ADF and my flights were planned using paper Jeppesen charts, this aircraft brings back the pleasure I experienced back then - I knew there was a reason for saving those paper Jeppesens for all those years!

Bill
I too went form the Q400 and 737 NGX to the A2A SEL aircraft and then to the Connie. Once I got programming the FMC in the 737 mastered, it lost my interest. The Connie requires you fly the aircraft from startup to shutdown, and the immersion is fantastic. I use Skyvector, and Plan G to do all my flight plans for the Connie.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Cool
Airman First Class

Post by Cool »

bobsk8 wrote: I use Skyvector, and Plan G to do all my flight plans for the Connie.
Have you ever try the Electronic Flag Bag from Aivlasoft. It is close to Jeppesen charts format and up to date monthly thanks to Navigraph.
You can try it for free for one month. It can also manage in real time the FSX or P3D basic GPS so you can fly in RNAV routes if you want to.
The Connie+ EFB + flying online on IVAO or VATSIM contributes to provide a unique flight sim experience
Pascal

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”