Autopilot + pitch

The "Queen of the Skies"
Neon
Technical Sergeant

Autopilot + pitch

Post by Neon »

Has anyone discovered how to get the autopilot to track a VOR yet? I have yet
to find how to do this. The logic of this AP isn't as clear as the 377 one. It seems
to be a simple wing leveller, and heading follower. Aside from using the FSX one which
sort of defeats the purpose.

Also, does anyone else thing pitch trim is super sensitive?

Neon

joers182
Senior Airman

Re: Autopilot + pitch

Post by joers182 »

Thats exactly what it is. A very basic autopilot. Simple but I havent had any troubles with using it, it gets the job done. I don't think their is a way to get the autopilot to track a VOR, you have to track it manually using the heading setting on the autopilot.

The pitch trim seems fine to me. I tend to just nudge it back and forth by tapping my trim buttons.
Joe W

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

All functions of Sperry autopilot are described in the manual. VOR tracking is not one of them. ;)
Michael Krawczyk

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Well that is sad. This is a game after all, and not all of us have the time to nurse
a virtual plane on a trip for four hours. I've been a mad flight simmer for the last
30 years and have learn to fly in the real world.

This is something that needs to be there, even if it wasn't in the real plane. It's a game. It
needs VOR tracking and Altitude Hold. Make it an option to disable it for those who want to
nurse it.

If it stays like this, sadly I won't be spending a lot of time in it. which is a shame because it is
my absolute favourite aircraft of all time. :(

There has to be some flexability for a game!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Easiest way to do most of what you want to do is to load a GPS (the default one is surprisingly useful) and use the Shift-3 menu to swap out the Sperry autopilot and replace it with the default FSX/P3D one. This isn't period-authentic, but then, neither is FSX/P3D - they're modern airspace simulators. So although purists will complain, it's completely reasonable to operate the Connie as if it was a restored aircraft with some modern equipment on board. The default autopilot will follow a GPS course. There's no heading bug (or at least, I haven't been able to find one), so to follow a heading or VOR radial, you'd have to turn to that heading and then engage heading hold. Still some work involved, but less than with the Sperry. Hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Alan_A wrote:Easiest way to do most of what you want to do is to load a GPS (the default one is surprisingly useful) and use the Shift-3 menu to swap out the Sperry autopilot and replace it with the default FSX/P3D one. This isn't period-authentic, but then, neither is FSX/P3D - they're modern airspace simulators. So although purists will complain, it's completely reasonable to operate the Connie as if it was a restored aircraft with some modern equipment on board. The default autopilot will follow a GPS course. There's no heading bug (or at least, I haven't been able to find one), so to follow a heading or VOR radial, you'd have to turn to that heading and then engage heading hold. Still some work involved, but less than with the Sperry. Hope this helps.
Although that will work, I'm a bit of a purist with these classic planes, but it's a game, room needs to be made for real world getting
in the way

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

I can argue (and have argued) it both ways. It's great to be period-authentic and master the old craft - but it's a lot of work, not always practical, and doesn't always fit well into the modern environment that FSX/P3D simulates. And on the other hand, there are plenty of period aircraft being flown today with modern equipment on board - even some of the most authentic restorations carry at least a hand-held GPS or a tablet when being flown from one airshow to another.

If you haven't seen it, check out this video of restored B-29 Fifi inbound to Oshkosh this past summer - and be sure to get a good look at the panel... 8)

EDIT: Just wanted to add that what I like about this video - and the reason I've linked to it instead of linking to still photos of updated panels - is that it shows that no matter what's in the panel, this crew is still clearly operating a period airplane, with all the workload and technique and division of labor involved. It's not as though having a GTN in the panel somehow invalidates that or turns Fifi into a modern airplane. Vintage is vintage, even with some modern gear.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XqW4FfP_pU&t=10s[/youtube]
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

She will track VOR's and hold ALT with the default FSX AP. I know that's probably not what you want, but as long as the NAV 1 is tuned into VOR, AP set to NAV, and then turn the Omnibearing dial around until it shows TO and lines up straight on the OMNI/ILS gauge, she will then turn to and follow it.

And obviously standard for ALT hold with AP.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Neon.
Just to clarify things , FSX is not a game , it is a simulation , and thats what A2A are doing with any of their aircraft , they are makeing them as real as FSX allows them too, i understand what you are saying , but this period aircraft needs to be nursed , just remember it is no where near the technology of todays aircraft , regading Autopilots , once you get to learn the new way of doing things or should that be old ways , i am sure you will get to enjoy this beautiful aircraft .
Also if you dont like the simple period Autopilot , then as , as been suggested , put the gps in , and use the default autopilot thats in one of the popup windows , its not realistic but A2A have put it there for people like yourself , who dont like or understand the old style autopilot , just be patient on this aircraft , and i am sure you will come to love it , in its original set up .
regards alan. 8)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I have found that if you have the default FSX autopilot in HDG mode, you can dial in your desired course bearing by cranking the rudder control (item 13 on page 115 of the pilot's manual).

I would like to find out how to use the UP and DOWN buttons to get the autopilot to fly a nice smooth climb or a steady descent. Yeah, I'm spoiled. I can fly IFR in solid soup so long as I can twist the little knobs and punch the little buttons on that autopilot.

Seeya
ATB

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

It's true there are many that are setup as modern aircraft. However this isn't. This is setup as a classic. It should
at the very least be capable of tracking a VOR in it's classic state.

It's disappointing really, I was looking forward to doing some long hauls, but doing it manually is just not
possible, and I really don't want to use the modern autopilot.

Oh well. :(

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

A bit lost here as it is still necessary to switch the VOR halfway between VORs and or at published points. This will generally need to be done at least every 100 miles, so you will need to be at the computer fairly regularly to do these long hauls correctly using VOR navigation.

The radial must be changed at these points as well. What's the big difference between these tasks and merely setting a heading plus a wind correction angle for a brief time to remain on an airway?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Neon wrote:It's true there are many that are setup as modern aircraft. However this isn't. This is setup as a classic. It should
at the very least be capable of tracking a VOR in it's classic state.

It's disappointing really, I was looking forward to doing some long hauls, but doing it manually is just not
possible, and I really don't want to use the modern autopilot.

Oh well. :(
This "classic" aircraft didi not have the capability of tracking VORs automatically. So why should A2A change its "classic" status to make it do something the real one didn't do? If you want to make it track VORs, then use the FSX Default Autopilot option. The manual goes over how to select it. There's nothing keeping you from doing it.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Alan_A wrote:EDIT: Just wanted to add that what I like about this video - and the reason I've linked to it instead of linking to still photos of updated panels - is that it shows that no matter what's in the panel, this crew is still clearly operating a period airplane, with all the workload and technique and division of labor involved. It's not as though having a GTN in the panel somehow invalidates that or turns Fifi into a modern airplane. Vintage is vintage, even with some modern gear.
Maybe and that's why A2A gives more modern options. But it's still important to note that "FiFi" still doesn't have an autopilot, even with that fancy GTN and updated "six pack" to allow it to operate under IMC conditions. In fact, while it's IFR capable, unless something's changed recently, the CAF doesn't operate it IFR under any circumstance except emergencies.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I think if you want period authentic then it should be period authentic. If that meant hand flying for 8 hours then buckle up and hand fly for 8 hrs. If you want to believe it is a restored aircraft then a gps and default AP is perfectly acceptable. You can always pick up the b377 it had an AP with altitude hold.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”