Autopilot + pitch

The "Queen of the Skies"
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Autopilot + pitch

Post by Alan_A »

CAPFlyer wrote:Maybe and that's why A2A gives more modern options. But it's still important to note that "FiFi" still doesn't have an autopilot, even with that fancy GTN and updated "six pack" to allow it to operate under IMC conditions. In fact, while it's IFR capable, unless something's changed recently, the CAF doesn't operate it IFR under any circumstance except emergencies.
Fair points. I think I knew that about Fifi once, but it had slipped my mind. I suppose an updated autopilot might make more sense in a restored airliner, at least if the goal was all-weather operation. But if it was going to be a fair-weather excursion flyer, then a Fifi-like arrangement (GPS but no autopilot) would make more sense. Side note - if A2A was ever to model Fifi in her current rig, I suspect there'd be some unhappy campers, what with the GTNs and all...

Back on topic - just managed a fully successful test flight with the Sperry. A lot of fun, but in heavy turbulence, a lot of work - I think hand-flying might have been easier, at least today over DC.

Getting the hang of it, though. It definitely has some skill-building value... and entertainment value...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

slidercdn
Airman

Post by slidercdn »

Neon sure is demanding...in same sentence, you manage to contradict yourself..*grabs popcorn*

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Neon wrote:
Alan_A wrote:Easiest way to do most of what you want to do is to load a GPS (the default one is surprisingly useful) and use the Shift-3 menu to swap out the Sperry autopilot and replace it with the default FSX/P3D one. This isn't period-authentic, but then, neither is FSX/P3D - they're modern airspace simulators. So although purists will complain, it's completely reasonable to operate the Connie as if it was a restored aircraft with some modern equipment on board. The default autopilot will follow a GPS course. There's no heading bug (or at least, I haven't been able to find one), so to follow a heading or VOR radial, you'd have to turn to that heading and then engage heading hold. Still some work involved, but less than with the Sperry. Hope this helps.
Although that will work, I'm a bit of a purist with these classic planes, but it's a game, room needs to be made for real world getting
in the way
Been simming for decades and am a licensed pilot. I don't look at my flight simming as a "game." .
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I just got the Connie this afternoon, and after watching this video a few times , I made a 150 mile flight using the Sperry autopilot and had no problems at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qenyu16K82A
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Oracle427 wrote:A bit lost here as it is still necessary to switch the VOR halfway between VORs and or at published points. This will generally need to be done at least every 100 miles, so you will need to be at the computer fairly regularly to do these long hauls correctly using VOR navigation.

The radial must be changed at these points as well. What's the big difference between these tasks and merely setting a heading plus a wind correction angle for a brief time to remain on an airway?
Most "High Altitude" VOR/DMEs in FSX are good out 199-200 miles.

If you are concerned about missing the switch, you could always set the AFK feature to kick in at 190 miles or so from the last VOR. If your not at the desk when it reaches that point, it will just pause the sim at about the time you would probably be ready to switch stations.
FAC257

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

bobsk8 wrote:I just got the Connie this afternoon, and after watching this video a few times , I made a 150 mile flight using the Sperry autopilot and had no problems at all.

Was there something confusing in how I taught it? Or is it just because it's a bit of a complicated system? I'd like to know if I need to adjust anything to make it more clear for others.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

eker
Senior Airman

Post by eker »

I never use track VOR - even on more modern aircraft, such as Comanche. I want to feel the crosswind, and adjust crab angle as I fly. (What else to do?)

What is surprised me is the need for large crab angle. At fl 20 this week I always experienced cross wind of over 50 knots. Ended up with crab angle of at least 20`

High altitude and slow aircraft does have some navigational challenges.
:)

Corktip_14
Airman First Class

Post by Corktip_14 »

bobsk8 wrote:I just got the Connie this afternoon, and after watching this video a few times , I made a 150 mile flight using the Sperry autopilot and had no problems at all.

Same here. Made a 450NM flight yesterday, and the Sperry is more than enough. As someone stated above, if you're afraid you'll mix the change, just use the auto pause button and program it to pause the simulator 10NM before the change.

I really don't understand all the fuss about it. Once the aircraft is trimed correctly and the Sperry AP is engaged, it will hold your aircraft steady and will fly where you point it to. As eker said, you just need to adjust for the crosswinfs, and that's it.

Canders
Airman First Class

Post by Canders »

I hit Ctrl-N which is the FSX default for autopilot nav mode. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Canders wrote:I hit Ctrl-N which is the FSX default for autopilot nav mode. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In which case why not just fly a 737?

Why DO people buy aircraft with complex systems and then set about stripping away that which makes them complex?

If you're not up to the challenge, too lazy to learn, or want to walk away and have `George` do all the flying for you, then do think that maybe - just may be - this aircraft isn't for you.

I know there are all types of simmer, and we don't all have 6 hours to fly in real time, but sheesh! :roll:

I teach 11-12 year olds on the flying club simulator. After 1 hour of tuition I give the keen ones the chance to PIC either the Connie or the T6 on a full pattern/circuit, usually from a seaside airport so they can fly over the water and see the boats and ships, and fly over the land and watch the vehicle traffic as they get on the g/s. I give them some time on the a/p

One hour. Its usually the girls that do best, by the way.

Surely even the laziest simmer can devote an hour to learning? Or maybe it's time for a sex change? :shock:

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

afcraig2010 wrote:

Was there something confusing in how I taught it? Or is it just because it's a bit of a complicated system? I'd like to know if I need to adjust anything to make it more clear for others.
I just watched that tutorial by coincidence before coming here. Excellent and very clear I actually quit it half way thru as I know my vor stuff very well already. If someone needed to watch it more than once they probably skipped thru it I instead of letting it play out. You could do a short 2 min edit of the main points but it's not really necessary. Good stuff!

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

sloppysmusic wrote:
afcraig2010 wrote:

I just watched that tutorial by coincidence before coming here. Excellent and very clear I actually quit it half way thru as I know my vor stuff very well already. If someone needed to watch it more than once they probably skipped thru it I instead of letting it play out. You could do a short 2 min edit of the main points but it's not really necessary. Good stuff!
I guess you were referring to my statement that I watched the video a few times. First of all I didn't "skip though it" as you implied. I have been an instructor for many decades, and when I study something, I go over it more than once, because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything of any importance. Nothing was confusing about the video, it just had a great deal of information, especially for someone that just started flying this aircraft. But, I have only been flying real aircraft for around 40 years, so I guess i have alot to learn.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

[/quote]

I guess you were referring to my statement that I watched the video a few times. First of all I didn't "skip though it" as you implied. I have been an instructor for many decades, and when I study something, I go over it more than once, because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything of any importance. Nothing was confusing about the video, it just had a great deal of information, especially for someone that just started flying this aircraft. But, I have only been flying real aircraft for around 40 years, so I guess i have alot to learn.[/quote]

Sorry no offense was meant at all. Skipping thru long YT videos is something I would only know about from personal experience! Especially when I just want to learn one simple fact or see where a button I cant locate is in the VC (I fly FO so this was obscured by throttles). I was intending here to pay the video maker a compliment rather than the viewer an insult.
My respect is always highest for those who seek such tech knowledge in a dumbed down world, whether from a real or a sim background.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”