Generator switch always On when T6 loads

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: Generator switch always On when T6 loads

Post by bobsk8 »

Slow Low wrote:Am I to understand that be defaulting the generator switch to ON you are trying to keep silly villain pilots from deviating from an SOP? Well then why don't you change the A2A T-6 checklist to reflect the proper procedure a pilot should follow; i.e. delete "Generator ON" from item 13 of the current A2A T-6 startup checklist, and add "Generator ON" somewhere before engine start, and change the shutdown checklist to read "shut off all electrical switches except the generator" and give us pilots full control of the switch. Don't be a Microsoft and tell us what is good for us. Let us pilots set the switches and let them stay where we set them, even if we set them wrong. Please :)

Sorry about your back . . . but let's not get started on that . . .
I think if you are flying the same aircraft all the time, in real life, you probably get used to procedures that most pilots flying that aircraft practice. What people are trying to say here, is that real pilots that fly the AT6 or SNJ leave the switch on all the time, because turning it off serves no purpose at all. The A2A manual on the AT6, just as many manuals on real aircraft, sometimes contain mistakes, and setting the gen switch is one. My advice , learn to fly the aircraft well in all phases of flight , and don't waste time and energy twisting yourself into a pretzel over the position of one switch in the cockpit. :roll: If it really bothers you that much, why don't you print out the checklist and take a pencil and correct it.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Slow Low wrote:Am I to understand that by defaulting the generator switch to ON you are trying to keep silly villain pilots from deviating from an SOP?

Why don't you change the A2A T-6 checklist to reflect the proper procedure; i.e. delete "Generator ON" from item 13 of the current A2A T-6 startup checklist, and add "Generator ON" somewhere before engine start, and change the shutdown checklist to read "shut off all electrical switches except generator" and give pilots full control of the switches. Let us pilots set the switches and let them stay where we set them, even if we set them wrong. We learn from our mistakes. Let us make them.

I seriously doubt they safety wire the generator switch to ON in the real T-6. Please don't safety wire (default) the generator switch to ON in the sim T-6. Pretty please :) I'd much rather have an engine quit and I crash because the battery goes dead if I make an error in setting the generator switch to ON than have the switch set for me. When a programmer defaults any switches he is effectively doing the pilot's thinking for him and the pilot learns nothing. If a pilot leaves a switch ON or OFF in a real airplane and locks the cabin door, the chances are pretty damn good the switch will be in the same position as he left it when he gets back in the airplane a day later. If he ignores the check list and doesn't set switches properly on this flight too he will suffer the consequences of his errors. If you default any switch so it automatically complies to a set procedure, while in reality said switch could accidentally or intentionally be set improperly, the pilot will learn nothing. Do you see what I mean? A sim should behave like a real airplane, i.e. pone to pilot errors.

I am seriously sorry about your back problems . . . but let's not get started on that . . . still you ought to see the Jerry rig I have constructed for a cockpit . . . might give you some pain relieving ideas.

I agree with Slow Low here. The "Auto Cold and Dark" can of course put the switch to on, as that makes most sense. But when "Auto CD" is off the persistency is lost if some select few switches are thrown off their last position and back into the "preferred" or programmed default.

If one leaves the T6 with the generator off then it should still be off. Otherwise the switch almost might not be functional.

Incidentally, am I the only one who comes back to the Comanche and always find the gear switch in neutral? I always leave it down...
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Medtner wrote:
Slow Low wrote:Am I to understand that by defaulting the generator switch to ON you are trying to keep silly villain pilots from deviating from an SOP?

Why don't you change the A2A T-6 checklist to reflect the proper procedure; i.e. delete "Generator ON" from item 13 of the current A2A T-6 startup checklist, and add "Generator ON" somewhere before engine start, and change the shutdown checklist to read "shut off all electrical switches except generator" and give pilots full control of the switches. Let us pilots set the switches and let them stay where we set them, even if we set them wrong. We learn from our mistakes. Let us make them.

I seriously doubt they safety wire the generator switch to ON in the real T-6. Please don't safety wire (default) the generator switch to ON in the sim T-6. Pretty please :) I'd much rather have an engine quit and I crash because the battery goes dead if I make an error in setting the generator switch to ON than have the switch set for me. When a programmer defaults any switches he is effectively doing the pilot's thinking for him and the pilot learns nothing. If a pilot leaves a switch ON or OFF in a real airplane and locks the cabin door, the chances are pretty damn good the switch will be in the same position as he left it when he gets back in the airplane a day later. If he ignores the check list and doesn't set switches properly on this flight too he will suffer the consequences of his errors. If you default any switch so it automatically complies to a set procedure, while in reality said switch could accidentally or intentionally be set improperly, the pilot will learn nothing. Do you see what I mean? A sim should behave like a real airplane, i.e. pone to pilot errors.

I am seriously sorry about your back problems . . . but let's not get started on that . . . still you ought to see the Jerry rig I have constructed for a cockpit . . . might give you some pain relieving ideas.

I agree with Slow Low here. The "Auto Cold and Dark" can of course put the switch to on, as that makes most sense. But when "Auto CD" is off the persistency is lost if some select few switches are thrown off their last position and back into the "preferred" or programmed default.

If one leaves the T6 with the generator off then it should still be off. Otherwise the switch almost might not be functional.

Incidentally, am I the only one who comes back to the Comanche and always find the gear switch in neutral? I always leave it down...
Flying in the real world, the pilots first job getting into an airplane is to check everything. Another pilot, or someone else might have moved a switch or a setting, and the pilot has to insure everything is set correctly. I never rely on a setting to be correct unless I check and adjust it my self, even if I think I was the last one that flew the plane. .
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:
Medtner wrote:

Flying in the real world, the pilots first job getting into an airplane is to check everything. Another pilot, or someone else might have moved a switch or a setting, and the pilot has to insure everything is set correctly. I never rely on a setting to be correct unless I check and adjust it my self, even if I think I was the last one that flew the plane. .
Yes, this is normal procedure. Its purpose is what we call a "zero reset"; a return to a known starting point to begin an internal cockpit pre-start check.
In the case of the T6 Gen switch position, we program for what we know is the proper switch position for the Gen switch which is the ON position. We made no provision for someone wanting the switch in the OFF position.
Dudley Henriques

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Let's see if I got this right. Leaving the generator switch ON is SOP in a T-6? OK, I got it and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”