Teething Problems

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
rodney.lackey
Airman

Teething Problems

Post by rodney.lackey »

P3D works for about 5 minutes with the T-6 and then shuts down with an unnamed/unnumbered program error.

Everything was working great until the computer decided to install updates. The problem described above began at that point. I reinstalled P3D and Simconnect, but the problem persists and I cannot "fly" to even the closest airport without the program shutting down.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Teething Problems

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

when the next crash occurs you will want to open your system event viewer to find out what exactly is crashing just to help track down what part is crashing.

If unsure how to do this, no worries as theirs a million pages on google for it. Here's the classic for dummies step by step I've used when I've forgotten in the past;
http://www.dummies.com/computers/operat ... indows-10/

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rodney.lackey
Airman

Post by rodney.lackey »

Hello, Lewis,

Thanks for the response. I'll try the URL you provided. I've looked more closely at P3D and wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I'm running Windows 10 and P3D doesn't recognize anything higher than Windows 8 in its compatibility checker.

I am 70, so I'm probably not as technologically adroit as I might be!

Thanks, Rod

rodney.lackey
Airman

Post by rodney.lackey »

The Event Viewer provides the following information about the last event: Level, Error; Date and Time, 3/11/2017 11:03:22 AM; Source, Application Error; Event ID, 1005; Task Category (100). In another window, it identifies the probem as the Microsoft Windows operating system. I have sent the information to Microsoft and appear to be getting an on-line commercial in response!

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

rodney.lackey wrote:The Event Viewer provides the following information about the last event: Level, Error; Date and Time, 3/11/2017 11:03:22 AM; Source, Application Error; Event ID, 1005; Task Category (100). In another window, it identifies the probem as the Microsoft Windows operating system. I have sent the information to Microsoft and appear to be getting an on-line commercial in response!
That error usually means Windows cannot access a file for one of the following reasons: An issue with the network connection; the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on the computer; or the disk is missing.

Unless you are running P3D over a network the first cannot be the cause. It cannot be the last as P3D cannot be run from disk so its likely you have a problem with the drive that P3D is on. Run CHKDSK.

To run CHKDSK under Win 10 right click on the Windows box bottom left corner of your desktop, click on Command Prompt (Admin). At the command prompt type CHKDSK /F and then press ENTER.
Leave it to do its thing, then reboot the computer. The instruction will check for errors (CHecKing the DiSK) and Fix any problems it finds.

After that, if the problem re-occurs it could be the drive that P3D is installed on is on its way out.

BTW There is no such thing as Win 10 compatibility as far as P3D is concerned. It should ALWAYS be run with no compatibility boxes checked, but with `run this application as administrator` checked and saved.

rodney.lackey
Airman

Post by rodney.lackey »

Thanks for your help, mallcot. I ran CHKDSK as you suggested. There was no indication of anything wrong with the disk (I haven't see the C> or used a DOS command for decades!) I am running in admin mode now. The problem described earlier hasn't gone away but it appears less frequently.

rodney.lackey
Airman

Post by rodney.lackey »

My teething problems with P3D was solved by deleting the old version and installing a new one. My sincere thanks to those who helped. This forum impresses me. I'll spend the day wallowing around the sky with my T-6 thanks to the help I received!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

aha good to hear you are up and flying. Have fun in the virtual skies

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”