Instrument repair required

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Snow
Airman Basic

Instrument repair required

Post by Snow »

After what can be politely described as a very heavy landing (stalled too high above the runway), there was considerable structural damage to the aircraft. A visit to the maintenance hangar rebuilt the aircraft. However I have been unable to resolve the following defects:-
1/ The attitude gyro gimbals must be bent and twisted as on startup the gauge indicates [bank 29deg Left, Pitch 20deg Up] (tooltips).
2/ Aircraft will not move at any power setting.
3/ External (Spot View) There are no sounds.

All other checks at startup appear normal except I cannot set the clock.

Now on pressing Autostart (Ctrl+E) The aircraft does a nose down dip as the attitude gyro assumes its normal indication,
The aircraft can now move forward and in External view, engine sounds can now be heard.

After several weeks with no success in resolving these issues, I decided to take my A2A Piper Cherokee for a stress relieving flight and guess what!!!!

The Piper attitude gyro was tilted at [Bank 29deg Left, Pitch 20deg Up] (Tooltips),
the aircraft would not move at any power setting,
External (Spot View) no sounds,
and in addition the suction gauge needle was oscillating between 0.5 and 4 in's of Hg.

On pressing autostart (Ctrl+E) as expected, the attitude gyro stabilized to normal, The aircraft leaped forward even with the hand brake ON, the external sounds are now audible and the suction gauge stabilizes at 4 inches of mercury.

Taking the aircraft on a circuit:- At takeoff experience yaw to the right which required considerable left aileron to keep the wings level (29deg??) also I could not trim the elevators for level flight, it was always too much up or too much down.
On coming in to land on final I pulled one notch of flap, the aircraft immediately flipped upside down to the left and that terminated the flight.
The Piper had inherited some aerodynamic faults from the T6-Texan crash. After overhaul in the maintenance hangar the flight characteristics just described were not repeatable.

There were other T6 issues but these seem to have faded away while trying to resolve the above problems.

I now have two aircraft with faulty instruments.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Instrument repair required

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

From your description, it sounds possible that there's a problem with the way the A2A add-ons are being initialised. For instance, loading them from a saved flight which is corrupt.

If you can let us know which host sim platform you're using it will help with troubleshooting. Also, please make sure you've downloaded and run the latest Accu-Sim update.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes it sounds like an initialization issue as it looks like the engine (fsx not accu-sim) isnt working. The external sounds are default for example so if they are not working its a definite host platform issue. You'll want to double check how your loading, double check your all updated with the updater, check your default flight and for the sounds check the sound isnt muted with the Q key.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Snow
Airman Basic

Post by Snow »

Hi Nick

I had early on in the saga deleted all T6-Texan saved flights with no success, also uninstalled/reinstalled The T6 and still had the defects but that was before I discovered the defects in the Piper Cherokee. So seeing your comments on loading corrupt saved flights yesterday I deleted all flights for everything and after a reboot things came right. Flying the T6 last night was back to normal, several other smaller issues appear to have been cleared up also.

It appears the corruptions were in a non T6 aircraft file but still had links back to the T6 settings.

Thanks for that clue

Snow

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello yes, also worth noting your default flight ideally should always be a default aircraft. Saved flight settings can affect everything in the load you are loading in, even if you change aircraft which is why its recommended the default flight at least is nice and simple and maybe not even changed from what is shipped, that way you always have a good fall back.

thanks,
Lewis

Snow
Airman Basic

Post by Snow »

Hi Lewis
Enclosing some screenshot sequences which I have just discovered and are a supplement to the original report.

I recently changed aircraft from the T6-Texan to the PA28 Cherokee and all of my reported earlier problems returned. I have spent the last week trying to resolve this and although I can make one or the other aircraft function normally as soon as I change aircraft it's back to square one.

The sequence I used to get the screenshots was:- Load default MS C172 to a parking spot, (1) Select external view, (2) Select PAUSE ON
From menu bar select Aircraft, T6-Texan, Load
Pix1 is T6 opening screen with pause ON. Pressing P to toggle Pause OFF immediately gives Pix2, T6 in a normal position.
Pix3 and Pix4, same setup but for the Cherokee.

I normally load in VC view and had noticed the lurching and thumping at load time, I now understand what was happening.

At this stage the cockpit is still full of faults and it is necessary to press AutoStart to clean and normalize the cockpit as reported originally.

Attached should be 4 screenshots.

Platform:- Windows 7 64bit on SSD, i7-3770 3.50Ghz, 16Gb RAM, FSX Gold plus Acceleration on separate SATA drive, Widescreen display.
This computer is dedicated to FSX only.

Thanks
Snow

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

I see no screenshots, but have you yet run the latest Accu-sim updater?

thanks,
Lewis

Snow
Airman Basic

Post by Snow »

Hi

Yes I have run the update issued earlier this year and the updates have made no difference I can detect.

Screenshots. I sent 4 files somewhere yesterday! maybe I did not attach them correctly to the post. I will try again and add them to this post.

Snow

PS. Maybe I did not label the files, sorry about that. Four files have gone to the 'A2A forums' somewhere now.
thanks

Snow

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Snow, the pictures cannot be attached to the forums, you will need to upload them to a hosting service such as Dropbox and then post the links as per this thread.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=50279
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Snow
Airman Basic

Post by Snow »

Hi everybody

It's all My Fault. I was too focused on two airplanes which happened to come from the same developer. had I looked sideways earlier I would have seen a bigger picture and that others were involved. My platform is very stable (years of practice) and an occasional FSX repair cures all, but not this time, a clean install was required.

Preliminary trials indicate I now have Artificial Horizons that behave and not stuck at some crazy angle. However I still have some issues, the Cherokee Airspeed Indicator is not functioning and the Texan Nav Light Switch has multiple clicks. I will look into these next week after a flyin weekend, till then it's re-edit the cfg files to suit my system.

Your comment re uploading pictures is noted.

Sorry for the confusion but thanks you are there.

Snow

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Did you remove the pitot cover on the Cherokee?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”