Rudder movement/external view causes throttle movement?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Potuslancer
Airman

Rudder movement/external view causes throttle movement?

Post by Potuslancer »

Hey folks. This is not a big deal at all and am enjoying the T-6 immensely but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue I'm having. After I start her up and go to the external view to check correct control surface movement, I'll go to a rear view and operate my rudder pedals (CH product) and when I do the external RPM sound of the engine increases like the throttle has been increased and if by chance the break isn't on, the plane will start moving forward. If I go to the cockpit view the engine sound hasn't increased and the throttle hasn't moved. If I move the rudder pedals while in the cockpit view this doesn't happen. Only on the external view while on the ground shortly after start. Very strange indeed. Any thoughts regarding this issue would be appreciated.

I'm currently in the middle of a US national tour with the 6 and am loving every minute of it. Currently in North Carolina working my way down the east coast. Lots of fun just doing short flights to small airports. I'll refuel, stay the night and move on to the next little airfield. Will head to the Florida keys then back up the west coast of FL then head west to CA. Will then start my cross country flight back to my home airport in the northeast. It'll take a while but hey, who cares. As long as I'm having fun.

Thanks A2A for the great aircraft.

Mark
Potuslancer
KPWM
ImageImage
A2A aircraft: C172,C182,Cherokee,Comanche,B-17,B-377,P-51 mil.,T-6, Constellation.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Rudder movement/external view causes throttle movement?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Mark,

First things first. From your signature I take it that you have quite some experience with A2A aircraft but I'm gonna ask anyways. Are you all updated with the latest updater?

Secondly. Did you verify that the throttle actually moves when you go to the external view and move your rudder? Or is it just the engine sound changing?! To check that you could two things. One turn the tooltips on and hover the mouse cursor over the throttle in the cockpit. Write down the percentage it's at go to the outside view move the rudder and then check in the VC if the throttle has moved. Additionally memorize or write down the rpm the engine is at. Go outside move the rudder and then after the sound in the external view has changed check again.

The reason I'm asking this is that the engine rpm rises a bit as the engine warms up. If you do the same procedure everytime you might just be at that point and the plane starts moving.

You also said it only happens after start? Or does it also happen after a flight when you reach your destination? Could you please check this? If there is a control input conflict in the external view you should see the same behavior before and after a flight.

Sounds like a fun trip you're doing.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Potuslancer
Airman

Post by Potuslancer »

Thanks so much for your reply and troubleshooting suggestions. I will try these things you mentioned and will get back to you.

Regarding my trip, yes it is loads of fun. I, of course, fly with AS2016 and ASCA with real weather and when it's not feasible to fly that day due to visibility I just stay put until it clears up. I used to just fly random short hops here and there around the world but this is rather different. It gives me a goal and it's something I look forward to. The aspect of the weather being below my personal minimums and forcing me to wait it out makes it much more realistic for me.

Thanks again,

Mark
Potuslancer
KPWM
ImageImage
A2A aircraft: C172,C182,Cherokee,Comanche,B-17,B-377,P-51 mil.,T-6, Constellation.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Potuslancer wrote: Regarding my trip, yes it is loads of fun. I, of course, fly with AS2016 and ASCA with real weather and when it's not feasible to fly that day due to visibility I just stay put until it clears up. I used to just fly random short hops here and there around the world but this is rather different. It gives me a goal and it's something I look forward to. The aspect of the weather being below my personal minimums and forcing me to wait it out makes it much more realistic for me.
Yes that's true. Flying with a goal is rather different. I did a North Atlantic ferry with the B-17 from Florida to souther Germany and I really enjoyed it. Also the same with the real world weather. Even though I'm only on ASN.

I hope the troubleshooting will help. Let us know!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

That's certainly a strange one Mark, as you say. :?

As Sebastian says, It seems unlikely to be a control conflict if the behaviour isn't observable when you're in the cockpit. However, it may still be worth checking that there's not another control also assigned to your rudder pedal axis. Not just the throttle, but also mixture control, propeller lever and even other controls which could affect the engine's power output such as carb heat. Do you use the A2A input configurator at all? Or FSUIPC?

As regards the aircraft moving forward, you probably know already that default FSX behaviour is that even slight pressure on the toe-brakes will release the parking brake. Maybe if you're vigorously pressing the rudder pedals this is a possibility?

Thanks,
Nick

Potuslancer
Airman

Post by Potuslancer »

Thanks for the reply Nick. I'm doubting also that it's a controller issue because it doesn't occur any other time. Only on the external view shortly after startup when I move the rudder pedals to check movement. It really caught me off guard the first time it happened when the RPM's increased and I started rolling forward. I figured I probably hit the throttle lever by accident on my CH yoke or something but then it kept happening. I haven't been able to fly recently due to work schedule but will try to replicate this issue as soon as I get the chance this coming week and pay close attention to the throttle position. I'll also try to capture it on Nvidia's ShadowPlay and find some way to post it(no experience doing that at all but I'll try to figure it out).

Thanks for your input guys and I'll get back to you with more info as soon as I can.

Mark
Potuslancer
KPWM
ImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, a Shadowplay recording would be a big help Mark. Most people choose to share vids via YouTube, but you could also upload it to a free file sharing site such as DropBox or Microsoft OneDrive and post a link. I tend to use Google Drive if I want to post a vid and the playback link (example here) is very similar to the Google-owned YouTube.

Tips on embedding YouTube vids here.

Nick

Potuslancer
Airman

Re: BRAKE APPLICATION in external view causes RPM's to incre

Post by Potuslancer »

O.K. guys. I've narrowed the problem down. It isn't anything to do with rudder movement it's the brakes application. Each time I apply the toe breaks on my CH pedals the exterior sound of the engine RPM's decreases. When i let off on the brakes the RPM's increase again and the aircraft rolls forward. When i go into the virtual cockpit there's no audible difference in RPM's or any visual change on the gauges with brake operation.

Here's the Dropbox link to the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8jvv6grevnba ... 9.mp4?dl=0

Thanks guys.

Mark

I
Potuslancer
KPWM
ImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Mark,

Well that's good. I didn't watch your video (I'm out sorry) but from what you describe I think that's totally normal behavior. When your depressing the brakes the plane will slowly move forward as it overcomes the friction of the ground. The change in noise is a "feature" that I observe on all the Accusim planes. It's not that the rpm or power or anything changes. It's just the sound in the outside view which is not controlled by Accusim if I understand it correctly.

So the fix for your "issue" (which isn't one :wink: ) is to ether be more careful with the rudder to not press the brake or just hold the brakes manually so the plane won't start to roll forward. Alternatively you could reduce the power so the plane won't roll.

Happy flying

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, I'd tend to agree that it isn't too much to worry about Mark. To be honest, I haven't noticed the effect in your video in any of the Accu-Sim products I've got installed, but it could be quite specific to the RPM and even viewing direction. I'm away from home at present too, but I'll make a mental note to check this out next time I get a few minutes with FSX.

For what it's worth, the full (payware) version of FSUIPC4 does include a fix for the default FSX 'toe brake pressure releases parking brake' behaviour.

Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I just did a flight with my C172. Same behavior. Start the engine with the parking brake on. Set rpm to 1000. Go to the outside view and release the parking brake. As the plane starts to roll forward the noise of the engine changes. It sounds like it revs up. But it actually doesn't.

Potuslancer
Airman

Post by Potuslancer »

Well now, isn't that interesting. Never really considered, or even noticed for that matter, that this issue was one that happened with other A2A aircraft. With that said though, this is certainly not a big issue and one that I can live with. In general though, regarding the internal cockpit engine sounds vs. the external engine sounds, I've always noticed that they never quite matched up in all A2A aircraft that I have with the exception of the B-17 and the B377. It always seemed that when I increased the throttle the cockpit sounds of the engine RPM's changed appropriately where as the external sounds seem to either be low RPM's or high RPM's. Nothing in between. This is probably a well known thing anyways and not a big deal. Nothing that detracts from the overall excellent quality of A2A aircraft. Absolutely love every one of them.

Thanks guys for looking at this for me.

Mark
Potuslancer
KPWM
ImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Potuslancer wrote:In general though, regarding the internal cockpit engine sounds vs. the external engine sounds, I've always noticed that they never quite matched up in all A2A aircraft that I have [...]
Yeah, with the "core Accu-Sim" fleet Mark, I understand that the internal sounds are programmed separately to the external ones. Unlike most aircraft in FSX which use simple 'canned' .wav files for all the sound effects, A2A have a dynamic sound engine for the cockpit sound encoded in the "sounds.pk" file for each product. The external sound effects still make use of the 'traditional' .wav files I believe, hence the chance for a bit of a mismatch between the internal and external sounds.

In other words, the external sounds don't have quite the fidelity of the internal ones. However, I guess they don't need to given that we'll be inside the cockpit when we're adjusting throttle, mixture, RPM and so on. The 'canned' external sound effects are presumably also a result of the impracticality of recording external sound variations under a wide range of conditions; for instance in flight! :)

Cheers,
Nick

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

The solution I think is simple, as an example when you move your arm into a particular awkward position and it hurts. Just don't put your arm in that position. Problem solved. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. :D :D

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”