My Texan Throttle Issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
UKJim
Senior Airman

My Texan Throttle Issue

Post by UKJim »

I move the throttle up a millimeter and the RPM drops drastically - It sometimes backfires too - which is not good.
I have looked at the controls and nothing stands out, this also does not occur with any other plane either A2A or otherwise. I have no strange mappings or anything that I can find and my controller has been configured.
I have the latest patch/update too but the issue still occurs.
Below is a video - if you watch the throttle and RPM needles you will see my issue.

Thanks for the help
Jim

https://youtu.be/8DhnBQs57c8

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: My Texan Throttle Issue

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Jim,

From previous post around this issue I understand that the real aircraft reacts the exact same way if you move the throttle to harshly. So it's important to move the throttle very smoothly in the T-6 to not get those surges.

One thing that you could check is controlled sensitivity for your throttle. Also look at the throttle in the VC when you move your hardware throttle. Does it move smoothly if move the hardware or does it jolt or judder a bit. I read that other users had issues with hardware throttles that didn't give a smooth input to the sim.

I don't think there is something amiss with your install.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Also look at the throttle in the VC when you move your hardware throttle. Does it move smoothly if move the hardware or does it jolt or judder a bit.
Yeah, definitely worth visually checking you've got the full range of movement of the virtual cockpit throttle too Jim. Sometimes I've noticed on loading the T-6 that the throttle doesn't close fully. However, if I move my hardware throttle fully through its entire range once or twice, full throttle movement in the virtual cockpit seems be be regained.

I'd guess this is due to some signal processing of the throttle input within the A2A T-6 software as I don't see the same issue with other aircraft.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

So I have taken another look - the throttle has full range, it does not stutter and is smooth, I moved the throttle as slow as I could and it did not do the above. But I really have to move it dead slow and only tiny amounts too to stop it from dropping. I have the throttle settings as defined in the manual and all that jazz, so I think I will try to be gentle from now on and see how it pans out.

Good to know this happens in the real world aircraft too, thought it was a dodgy install or something. Glad it isn't :)

Thanks guys

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Good to know this happens in the real world aircraft too
And that's why you bought an A2A aircraft. :D /fanboi mode OFF
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

A general rule of thumb is to advance the throttle from idle to takeoff power over a 5 second count. That is a safe pace to use.

Some goes for power reductions with smooth motions. Your engine will appreciate it!

It's not just the T6. Even a 172 IO-360 we'll make a loud bang if you pull the throttle back too fast, I guess that is from being too rich and too much unburned fuel going into the exhaust. A J-3 will actually stumble from too lean a mixture if you open the throttle too fast. That scared me once on a hasty go around. A have only flown one radial and I found it to be the most sensitive to the speed of throttle changes.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

Advancing the throttle too fast will definitely give you problems especially in a big radial with blowers. :D

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Yes the Texan takes some getting used to as far as throttle response but I guess that's what we get when we ask for more realism :wink: Just one of the things that I enjoy about the A2A planes that every one of them seems to have its own "personality".

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The bang can be VERY disconcerting in a C172, I've only ever had it twice (both when being particularly ham fisted)

But our whole aerodrome did stop one day when a student decided to cut the mags instead of the mixture to shut down.
Fuel and hot exhausts do not play well! :twisted:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ahhh now I understand, I remember hearing a half question on this from one of your streams a few weeks back Jim?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Lewis - A2A wrote:ahhh now I understand, I remember hearing a half question on this from one of your streams a few weeks back Jim?

thanks,
Lewis
Yeah mate I think it's a result of a mix of how the plane actually reacts and also my hardware not helping either. I'll have to remember to be slower and small movements.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ok good stuff, I'm home now i'll try and catch a stream!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Ok good stuff, I'm home now i'll try and catch a stream!

cheers,
Lewis
No problem mate speak soon

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”