T-6 Fuel Gauges

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Re: T-6 Fuel Gauges

Post by ilya1502 »

Jacques, yes, but how will it fill the lines all the way to the engine driven pump, if the latter is not working yet and the tanks are essentially below the engine in the ramp position?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

T-6 Fuel Gauges

Post by Jacques »

Ilya, I missed a small bit of text in the diagram that answers your question: the primer taps off the main fuel line between the fuel selector and the engine driven pump and the text says "to engine". So I was viewing it backwards. I wish I could attach the diagram for you.
So, the primer is feeding the engine directly during the start, allowing the engine driven pump to eventually provide fuel, and the hand pump is providing fuel directly to the carburetor in an instance where the engine driven pump fails.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I was told by a former T-6 owner that the wobble pump is avoided on the real airplane because it's an invitation for a fire.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I first found this thread yesterday, and I checked out my T-6. I always run my fuel gauges in the high position. I've never seen them in the low position. I finally figured out that the only way to see the gauges in the low position is to move the eyepoint view to the left or the right. I've got the top buttons on my T.16000 joy stick set up so that the left button moves eyepoint to the left, right moves it to the right, and the center button sets resets the view. I'm leaving them in the high position.

I sometimes hit Shift+Enter about five or six times while taxiing in after getting off the runway, which has the effect of adjusting the seat to maximum height, making it easier to see over the nose.

Seeya
ATB

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Thanks, Jacques, that's clear. What is not is how does fuel get from the tanks to the primer?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Ilya, I found a link to a manual...not the same model as A2A but the fuel diagram is similar. link: http://static.squarespace.com/static/51 ... 5+PFOI.pdf

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Yes, I found this, too. The diagram doesn't answer my question though :(

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

So, take a look at the fuel section somewhere around page 109, look at the diagrams and you should find what I think you are looking for..unless I'm not understanding the nature of your question :?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdu2o8oyt23sn ... l.pdf?dl=0

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Thanks, Jacques! Besides the fact that this is just a great document, I've found the answer. The primer takes fuel from the fuel unit and the fuel unit is located on the forward side of the firewall, so occasionally, if you absolutely cannot start the aircraft with priming alone, you might have to pump a bit. However, this is unlikely, because if you already made an attempt, you cranked the engine and the engine driven pump must have sucked enough fuel, so no hand pumping on start.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I was running out of options, mate! Assembly manuals are great for getting into the little details.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”