3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: 3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post by Scott - A2A »

HHHCAH,

There has to be something very odd on this PC, as this is not something we've come across. My only recommendation is to put the fake FSX folder on a thumb drive and run all the installs on the thumb drive, then copy it to your FSX folder. I wish I could offer a better solution, but if this was happening on my PC, the above is exactly what I would do.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Hi.
I am still puzzled that you cannot run this file as administrator.

Just to reiterate you download the file from A2A and then using your winzip you extract it to either your download directory or wherever you unzip files to.

That will give you the update file ending .EXE
If you right mouse click on that file a dropdown will open at the top of which it says run as administrator.
----------------
I feel that you are not getting this far.

Just trying to help.

Cheers Chris

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi again,

Well, trust me, at this point, other than the fact that I can sit here and look at all of it, just reading all this back and forth stuff is a bit confusing and I can understand why everyone is puzzled. I’ve never experienced anything like this – it’s beyond weird to me. I’ve downloaded and run all previous updates with no problem at all. Whichever way I’ve chosen to do it, I know how to download, open, save, save as, and extract zipped files – I do it all the time. I also know how use “Run as administrator,” although it seldom seems necessary for what I do, as I have administrator rights and applications set accordingly. As necessary, I will normally use it to open new applications, although that’s just a habit, because someone once said to do it that way (…no clue why, but it doesn’t hurt…) - I’ve never noticed any difference whatsoever (I suspect if I used a computer more, there would be some evident benefit to it, but…). To unzip files, I use WinZip 20.0; Run as administration isn’t an option, except to open the application - not the zipped files (I’d attach a pic of what it looks like in action, but the Forum page keeps telling me the attachment quota is used up (also very odd). I have the A2A update application file extracted from the zipped file and it runs the update just fine, until it works its way down to my aircraft, so, again, getting it opened and running isn’t the problem. In case WinZip 20 is not a program you use, here’s a link (check out the Features and What’s New – it’s an awesome program for managing all kinds of zipped files – extremely user friendly and great for us non-tech types, which is why I use it…) - http://www.winzip.com/win/en/landing/prodpagewz.html

I just saw Scott’s comments about using a flash drive (thumb drive), which, at this point, I guess I’ll try, but I’m not sure what difference it will make. I already use a dedicated (SSD) drive for FSX:SE, my system drive, where I put the Fake FSX folder earlier, is also an SSD, I have a dedicated internal SSD for misc stuff and another dedicated internal drive for P3D, and I use 4 external drives (combination of SSD, 2 HDD and a flash/thumb drive) – they, and all of my programs, are working perfectly. My point being, I don’t think it’s a matter of where it is… Again, I had no problems with FSX:SE, or anything else, until I installed the T-6, and I’ve never had an update problem.

Unfortunately, my “crime” (a BIG one, I’ll admit) was to not have a current sim backup, except for my Orbx scenery, using FSCubed (thank God), so, from that perspective, I can’t blame anyone but me for being stuck at this point. That having been said, I’ll try the flash drive and let you know what happens. Actually, before I do that, I guess I’ll just try installing the T-6 again, and I’ll download it again, instead of using the original download, just in case there was something wrong with that file. Who knows, maybe it’ll kick-start whatever got screwed up the first time. I’ll let ya know about that, too.

Other than that, please correct me if I’m wrong, but since nobody has responded to my suggestions about having a remote session, am I to assume that’s something you (meaning A2A, specifically) just won’t do? I may be in the minority, but, for me, usually long before reaching a technical impasse, most companies I’ve worked with have offered it without me even having to ask, and once their tech folks get to poke around in my system, they’ve come up with resolutions that just weren’t possible without a hands-on approach.

Thanks.

Howard

PS: I might not be able to spend any more time on this today, but I’ll post my results as soon as I can get back to it (probably tomorrow).

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Scott,

I went ahead and tried to get the C172 and Update on the USB. I'd forgotten that you suggested something similar early on, but you said to do it on another computer (which I don't have). And therein appears to lie the rub, since the USB is plugged into the same computer with FSX:SE and the A2A aircraft, the installation won't run without uninstalling the current C172, so I did that. I "installed" the C172 on the USB and ran the Update with a path to the USB. However, the Update failed to "see" the C172. So, it appears that I'm back to square one. Oh, by the way, I reinstalled the T-6, which appeared to install normally. And I ran the Update again on the normal drive but it, of course, since the C172 had been uninstalled, froze this time at the C182.

Now what?

Since I had to delete all of my prior Update downloads, is there anyway I could at least get an Update file for the Update prior to 3-30-16? At this point, I have no idea if that one will even work, but it's a shot and at least I could get back to where I was before the T-6 and the 3-30-16 & 4-7-17 Updates. That, of course, will not help me for the future so I'd still like to have someone try a remote session (even if I have to pay for the help) to try to figure this out. Without it, I'm dead as far as my current A2A products, and certainly won't be able to add any more as I go along. As an aside, I'll try seeking some technical help from the vendor I bought the T-6 from and from a couple of developers I communicate with, or maybe someone on FaceBook or the YouTube folks - somebody may have a clue - I'm grasping a straws!

Thanks.

Howard

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

I haven't noticed any comments on my last 2 posts, so I'll add a 3rd with another thought. Again, I'm not a tech person, so this is a reach for me. I understand that when things get installed there are, at times, all kinds of file entries which get spread out thru the computer (Registry, etc. etc.). So, is it possible that one, or more, of the files required to fully run the Update downloads may have been corrupted, and that's what's stopping the Updates from running completely. Again, they run just fine until they get to the first of my installed aircraft. If that is possible, from the Update's behavior, can you tell what files it may be getting stuck on, and then tell me how to check and fix them? This is another one of those things that would be more easily dealt with in a remote session by someone who knows what to look for and what to do with whatever problem they may find, so I'm still requesting that we at least give it a try. But, I'll certainly try anything that someone can suggest.

Thanks

Howard

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Did you try the latest update released yesterday?
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi,

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, yes, and the results were exactly the same. The Update runs until it finds my first aircraft, appears to run (status bar advances) and then freezes. The Windows Task Manager still shows it "running" vs. "not responding," but it doesn't matter how long it's "running" it doesn't advance (yesterday, I let it run longer than my previous marathon try - 5 hours! this time and still nothing). This is why I keep asking for a remote session with someone from A2A; it's such a weird problem that I suspect only the developer's tech people will be able to spot what's actually happening.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

HHHCAH,

I have an idea. What A2A airplanes do you have? I will do the update here and upload a single updated zip you can download and apply.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Thank you, that sounds like a great idea. Just FYI, I disabled the firewall and anti-virus again, ran another thorough anti-virus scan (Trend Micro), which came up with 0, and then tried the Update again - same thing. So, your idea will be an interesting test. Anyway, I have the C172, C182, Comanche250 and T6.

Thank you.

Howard

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Ok, this makes no sense to me, but after trying to install the Update several more times, I tried again and went away for about 2 hours (after I watched it run and freeze where it always does...). When I checked on it, the Update had closed - I have no idea if it actually installed anything, or just got "tired" of running and shut itself off. So, right now, I have no idea where I am with this situation. Are there any files I could view someplace to see if anything has changed?

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Sorry, as a PS to the last comment, I went ahead and ran the Update again. It froze at exactly the same spot; I'll let it run to see what happens this time.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi Scott,

I'm sure there's a lot going on, but I just thought I'd check to see what's happening with your suggestion on 4-18.

Thanks.

Howard

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Howard,

Check PM.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”