3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 3-30-16 UPDATE FREEZES AND WON'T INSTALL

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Do the pop up panels work in the default aircraft?

And after reinstall did you re-run the latest updater and did it update the aircraft ok? You can force an update by going into the FSX folder ? A2A folder and then the aircraft you have installed from us will have there own folders. Inside if you delete the update folder it will reset the aircraft so next time you run the installer it'll update everything for that given aircraft.

thanks,
Leiws
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Actually, I didn't think to try pop ups in the default aircraft, but, now I have, and, nope, they don't work either.

When the problems started someone suggested that I delete the update folders in the A2A aircraft and I tried that - didn't work. Now, after reinstalling FSX:SE and the A2A aircraft (except for the T-6) I've tried to run the 4-7-16 Update multiple times (and again just now) and it's doing exactly what it has been doing. It downloads and I can start it, but when it moves down thru the aircraft it comes to a stop at the C-172 "Trainer," always freezing at 36% on the status bar. Nothing I do will get it going again, nor can I exit it - I have to get to the Windows Task Manager and use End Task. And, of course, looking in the A2A aircraft folder shows that there are no .wyc files (which I believe are the update files).

I really appreciate your continued efforts to figure this one out - it sure is beyond me. Here's a thought/question, to which I believe, and understand, the answer will be "sorry, but, no," but I have to ask. When I've had "serious" technical problems on other things, as a final attempt to work thru the many, many possibilities, the company has done a remote session to work on the problem directly, and, so far, that has always been 100% successful, and save everyone a whole lot of time. So, the question is, would you (or do you know anyone who might) be interested and/or willing to try that? I have used TeamViewer, but I know there are other programs available for remote sessions so any would be fine. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I'd be happy to pay a fee for the help - I know the Forum is free, but this is important to me and what I'm asking is obviously a bit different.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Sorry, now I'm a bit lost in the Forum - I don't know where my last reply is (it had looked like you started a new chain with your last response and I replied to that one...). Anyway, I hope you see this.

I have good news and still the same news. The good news is that someone told me to go into the new FSX:SE location, make a "BACKUP" folder and move a couple of the .cfg files into it; then open FSX:SE again and it should make an all new .cfg file. I did, and it did (although I had to "accept" a lot of changes to get it done). When I got into FSX:SE again,- BOOM - the ALt key brought up the menus just fine with the default aircraft. I then switched to an A2A aircraft and, again, BOOM - the 2D pop ups all worked just fine, too.

However, the still the same news is that I still cannot get the A2A Update (4-7-16) to install. It downloads just fine and opens just fine, but it continues to freeze (@ 36% showing on the status bar) as soon as it comes to my first aircraft (C-172), and I'm stuck - can't get run or close without using the Windows Task Manager - End Task.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ok thats great, so the pop up panel issue was a core FSX issue and thats now resolved great.

So now we just need to get the updater working for you.

Have you re-downloaded the updater recently to grab the latest and when running it are you moving it to say the desktop prior to running it?

thanks,
Lewis

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hello,

Yep, I've tried running the Updater at every step of the way - including yesterday and today. I’ve tried it both by downloading and using “Save As” to save the file on my computer first, before running it, and by simply clicking on the download and using “Open” to run it. The results are exactly the same. It starts running and looking for aircraft; it comes to the C-172 “Trainer” and freezes, showing: “Installing “ - “Copying” – “D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\client.wyx” and 36% on the status bar. At that point, again, regardless of where I started it from, I cannot “Resume” it, “Exit” it or simply close it. The ONLY way I can move forward is to use the Windows Task Manager to “End Task.”

Before installing the T-6 I had never had any kind of problem with the Updater. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the C-172, C-182 and Comanche, and I’ve uninstalled the T-6, but downloaded the installation file ready to try another installation.

I just thought of something. I don’t know why my anti-virus software would interfere (it never has before), but after sending this, I’ll disable it and try the Updater again to see if it makes any difference. I’ll send another Reply with results either way.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi,

I disabled both the firewall and anti-virus protection, and tried the Updater again. No luck, same result.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

do you run the updater as admin if given the choice and 100% percent no extra dialogue box is waiting for you to click ok on, sometimes these are hidden behind the main window.

I'll try to nail down exactly when these pop up to see if its in relation to where you are seeing the freeze.

thanks,
Lewis

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

I’m not given an option to “Run as administrator” from either the download or the saved file; it’s either “Open” or Save/Save As.” My system permissions are set to give me Administrator rights. The odd thing is that I have never had any kind of problem with the Updater until now, and it’s always freezing at my first aircraft (C172 “Trainer”). And to recap a previous step, I’ve gone to the individual aircraft and deleted the Update file “client.wyc” (I’ve also reinstalled all but the T-6 aircraft), and then I tried running the Updater. It created a new “client.wyc” file in the C172 file, but, since the update froze, it no longer creates a “client.wyc” file in the other aircraft. I’ve also “looked” behind the installation screen (Alt – Tab) and viewed everything there; unfortunately, there’s nothing.

I’ve had help from 2 developers (Alex Ranc and Baher Abouelfittouh) to get everything else working again properly (FSX:SE has been completely uninstalled/reinstalled and is running properly along with a huge amount of Orbx scenery thanks to the FSCubed program). As mentioned, I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled 3 of my 4 A2A aircraft, without, of course, any updates (the T-6 seemingly was what started the problem, so I haven’t tried to reinstall it, although, maybe doing so might actually fix something that may have been corrupted the first time – what do you think?).

I tried to attach a pic of the screen where the freeze happens, but the first one was to large, so I cut it down. However, now the Forum page says the “…board attachment quota has been reached” (odd) so it won’t let me attach anything. Again, though, it just stops on the first aircraft I have (C172 “Trainer”) and freezes at 36% on the status bar. I can’t resume or close it by any means other than going to Windows Task Manger and using End Task. In Windows Task Manager, it says the installation is running (vs. “Not Responding”), which is a bit interesting in itself – don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that quit working that shows it’s still running.

Anyway, thank you for your continued efforts. If, at anytime, you would like to use a remote session to access my computer to see directly what is going on vs. just back and forth Forum thoughts, please let me know and I’ll make myself available (pretty much, any day, at any time of day).

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

You realise you must unzip the updater file?Then right click on the *.exe file and at the top it will say run as administrator click on this and it should run.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Yes, of course I know it's a zipped file. I download it and either save it or open it - no other choices. Opening it here, or from the saved file, then opens it in my WinZip program where I click on the name of the zipped file and I'm ONLY given the option to open it (NO Run as Administrator). It then asks if I'm sure I want to Run it because of no certificate from you (always the same, never a problem from a known vendor...). I run it from there and it does everything I've already told you - obviously running the Updater because it opens, goes thru the list of aircraft, not finding any until it gets to the C172 "Trainer", etc., etc. etc. I've done it dozens of times this time around and it always fails. I've done the exact same thing on all previous Updates, and it just goes right thru the whole process all the way to completion without ANY problems. Again, I've had no problems with the Updater until trying to run it after the installation of the T-6. I wish I could give you a clue about the connection between the installation and Updater failure, but, if there is one, it's not obvious to me.

Again, I certainly appreciate the amount of time your spending on this, but, rather than all this writing back and forth, I really think a remote session to let you actually work on the problem would be the best, but, either way is fine, as long as we can get it fixed.

Thanks.

PS: Just tried again to attach the small pic of the failure dialogue box, but I still get this at the top of this page: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

HHHCAH,

Try making a dummy FSX install, using just a folder with an FSX.exe inside. Place it somewhere in your DOCUMENTS folder in Windows so there are no write errors. Then install the C172 there (pointing the installer to this new dummy location), then run the update and point it to the same location.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Good morning/afternoon:

Well, that sounded like a reasonable test, but... I sent up the directory (folder) and downloaded another copy of the C172 and the update file. I started the installation of the C172, but the system detected the other C172 and instructed me to uninstall it first, so I did. Then I installed the C172 without problem. However, before I ran the update, I decided to try another test first. I wondered if by uninstalling the C172 it would make any difference with the update, so I ran the update in the original location. It ran, but, unfortunately, this time 2 things happened 1. It said the Comanche was NOT FOUND (odd), and 2. It froze on the C182 "Skylane" @ 46% on the status bar. So, then I ran the update on the new C172 installation, and it did exactly the same as before - it froze @ 36% on the installation status bar.

The problem started with the 3-30-16 update, and, unfortunately, part of trying to figure it out was to delete all of the previous update files in each aircraft, so I don't have them to try. Again, I am NOT a tech person, so this might sound dumb, but would it be possible to get the update prior to 3-30-16 and try it. Or maybe even one or two prior to that; I assume I was current, but I'm not sure - the last time for sure that I would have run an update was when I installed the Comanche (sorry, I just don't recall running interim updates...).

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Correction - I ran the update again on the original installation. I had glanced away and thought it was the Comanche that couldn't be found, after uninstalling the C172; it was, in fact, the Cherokee that couldn't be found (because I don't have it...) before it got to the C182. This time when it got to the C182 it froze at 49% on the status bar.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just for the record how long are you leaving it before turning it off?

thanks,
Lewis

HHHCAH
Airman

Post by HHHCAH »

Hi,

Sorry, I know this whole thing is getting a little lengthy with all the back and forth. I posted the max time I let it run on 4-2-15 (5:06 PM). I had walked away and just let it run for 4.5 hours, but when I returned, the whole thing had just disappeared, with no updates completed, so I really don't know how long it ran before just "closing" itself. Since then, I've let it go 3 - 5 minutes, but mostly, with the most recent series of tries, I give it less than a minute because it's always the same...

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”