Maxing out the R-1340

The world's most popular advanced trainer of WWII
new reply
R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Maxing out the R-1340

Post by R-2800-59 »

I enjoy doing aerobatics in the six even more since I bought proper rudder pedals. Flying taildraggers in general grew to be a lot more convenient to me.

However since I find myself doing proper snap rolls, spins, hammerheads and loops I feel the limits of the power available at 30" to 2000rpm.
Doing Immelmanns for example, I feel the need to add a little more power to get into the inverted part and return to level flight without hoping for a lucky one.

As prop overspeed at any setting above 2000 rpm becomes an imminent threat to my engine, would short term application of 32" to 2000 or even more be tolerable?

If Mr Henriques reads this: Do you have any experience in a higher setting doing aerobatics? Is there a tolerable margin regarding prop overspeed in fast descents or even a lower rpm setting at high power to avoid this?

Many thanks!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Maxing out the R-1340

Post by DHenriques_ »

R-2800-59 wrote:I enjoy doing aerobatics in the six even more since I bought proper rudder pedals. Flying taildraggers in general grew to be a lot more convenient to me.

However since I find myself doing proper snap rolls, spins, hammerheads and loops I feel the limits of the power available at 30" to 2000rpm.
Doing Immelmanns for example, I feel the need to add a little more power to get into the inverted part and return to level flight without hoping for a lucky one.

As prop overspeed at any setting above 2000 rpm becomes an imminent threat to my engine, would short term application of 32" to 2000 or even more be tolerable?

If Mr Henriques reads this: Do you have any experience in a higher setting doing aerobatics? Is there a tolerable margin regarding prop overspeed in fast descents or even a lower rpm setting at high power to avoid this?

Many thanks!
The key to doing good aerobatics in the 6 is airspeed and g control. Normally 28 inches is fine with the prop set at 2000RPM. 30 inches is ok really. Just keep your hand on the throttle in case you get an engine quit inverted and be ready to come back on the power. Normally anything in the green RPM wise will keep the prop in the governor range doing acro.
For your Immelmann the key is a higher airspeed entry (175Kts ) than you use for a normal loop and pull a bit harder earlier in the vertical to establish the line early then ease off in the second quarter.
DH

R-2800-59
Staff Sergeant

Re: Maxing out the R-1340

Post by R-2800-59 »

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that even after all those flying hours I am only just beginning to understand how to deal with this sporty lady.

Seems like I should skip dessert to save a few kgs for those verticals...

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan"”